Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 5th July 2010, 15:45

MikeHackworth is on a distinguished road
Seikosha Aircraft Clock (Navy Model)

Hello everyone. I am new to your forum and have enjoyed reading past posts. One of my interests is military aircraft timepieces. Few examples of this model survived WWII because the Japanese Navy required that the clock remain in the cockpit panel (versus Army where pilots often wore the timepiece on a cord). I have seen numerous references that the two piece construction of the clock allowed the clock movement/face to be removed while the base remained in the panel but they are in error. As noted in photos, the copper plates (and those around the inner edge of the base unit) were in fact springs to isolate the clock from engine vibration etc. I own models from all WWII air powers and have not seen such dampening (including the Japanese Army models). All comments welcome and in particular any references to other examples with dampening systems or historical references on effects of vibrations on instruments.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:49

MikeHackworth is on a distinguished road
Re: Seikosha Aircraft Clock (Navy Model)

OK! Weird, but I finally got a response from this forum.