Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st March 2006, 17:13

Henofred is an unknown quantity at this point
June 28, 1944 - Ammunition train claim

Hello,

I am looking for a Fighter Group which would have claimed the destruction of an ammunition train and at least 70 railcars on June 28, 1944 on the tracks between Vierzon-Ville and Bourges, France. The precise place is near the town of Mehun. Large damage to the surrounding houses and explosion felt at several miles around the target. Broken windows for example at Bourges, 10 miles from this attack. Column of smoke towering to 5000 ft. Remains of railcars found at two miles from the explosion, according to a local police report. On the spot today, around the tracks, the ground always shows remains of this attack.
All your answers or suggestions are the welcomes.

All the best,
Frederic.
Old 21st March 2006, 18:59

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road
Re: June 28, 1944 - Ammunition train claim

Was this the explosion that blew out all the stained glass windows in a very old , historic Church?
Mike
Old 22nd March 2006, 07:07

Hi Mike,

Yes, the mayor of the village tell that all the stained glasses of the church were broken by the explosion blast. After this attack there were still intact many railcars on the tracks (particularly railcars containing marine torpedos) and the Germans quickly dispersed them in anticipation of another air attack.
The local time for the attack would be approximately at 0830 pm.

All the best,
Frederic.
Old 22nd March 2006, 18:28

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

OK - it was a P -51 Group. In the 90s former members discovered the damage to the Church and raised money to restore the stained glass windows. A lot of publicity about it - several magazines had the story. I am not sure of Group. Will research and get back to you.
Mike
Old 22nd March 2006, 23:04

Peter Randall

It was the 364th Fighter Group.

Peter
Old 23rd March 2006, 08:27

Hi Mike,
Hi Peter,

At that time, the 364th FG flies P-38 or P-51 fighters? Otherwise, there is a contact (e-mail or mailing address) with a Group historian for more details?
I also know that only Fighter Groups from the 9th Air Force stationed in France carried out missions this day there (Source: The 9th Air Force in World War II by Kenn C. Rust) but for these Groups I do not have any information. I think that a big explosion like this one should not be forgotten by Eighth or Ninth Air Forces pilots, no?
Thus, I thank you for your kindness.

Best regards,
Frederic.
Old 24th March 2006, 00:19

Peter Randall

You are right, 364th had P-38 on that date. I was assuming that you were talking about the "Windows for Remy" which is the well known event with the ammunition train exploding and the Fighter Group members helping to replace the stained glass windows post war. That was certainly the 364th FG but the explosion was on August 2nd 1944.

Peter
Old 24th March 2006, 08:00

Hi,

Don’t worry Peter there were many air raids in this area from June to September 1944 and the most difficult is to know which Group is implied at this date. A witness of the time noted the following attacks onto the tracks only for the month of June 1944: 2, 4, 5, 25, 27, 28, 29 and 30 June…and I have other days into the Archives reports!
I have already some answers but as I said, this explosion seems enough impressive to leave a memory to pilots who carried out a mission this day there, and off course into the mission report.

All the best,
Frederic.