Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th October 2006, 07:34

rainflowermoon is on a distinguished road
Oberst Eduard Neumann

Does anyone have biographical information on Oberst Eduard Neumann (JG26/27) - I cannot find place or date of birth on this gentleman.

with many thanks in advance,

Jess
Old 16th October 2006, 22:18

Michael Young is on a distinguished road
Re: Oberst Eduard Neumann

Edu Neumann was born on 5 June 1911. He served in Spain with 3.J/88 and Stabsstaffel J/88. he scored 2 victories and was awarded the Spanienkreuz in Gold mit Schwertern.
He served with JG234, JG132, JG26 and JG27, achieving 11 victories, and promoted to Oberst on 1 October 1944.
He died on 9 August 2004, in München.
Old 17th October 2006, 15:22

fran

Not mentioned, the place of birth was Bukowina.
In Spain he also act as Adjutant of the Stab J/88.

Regards
Old 17th October 2006, 18:51

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. I'll pass it on to Jess when I see her next.

Much appreciated! - So as Adjutant of Stab J/88, I wonder if he would have come into contact with Oesau, who was also with J/88.

Jess and I are working on a project, you see, and we're needing informations on quite a few of the lesser famous pilots. Thanks so much again to both of you for this information, it is very helpful!

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 17th October 2006, 23:23

It is very possible that he would have come in to contact with Lt.Walter Oesau. According to the book 'Legion Condor' (English edition published by Schiffer) by Ries and Ring, Oesau was with 3.J/88 from April 1938 until November 1938, while Neumann was with 3.J/88 from September 1937 until some time in 1938. And Neumann was with Stab J/88 from at least June 1938 and Oesau became Adjutant on 4 November 1938. So their paths may well have crossed.
Old 17th October 2006, 23:55
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Young View Post
Edu Neumann was born on 5 June 1911. He served in Spain with 3.J/88 and Stabsstaffel J/88. he scored 2 victories and was awarded the Spanienkreuz in Gold mit Schwertern.
He served with JG234, JG132, JG26 and JG27, achieving 11 victories, and promoted to Oberst on 1 October 1944.
He died on 9 August 2004, in München.
AFAIK Neumann was Jafü Rumänien from January 1944 to the end of August, then Jafü Oberitalien from September 1944 to January 1945.
Old 18th October 2006, 08:56

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Nick, Michael - he certainly was an interesting fellow.

I just bought a nice book, waiting for it to come in the mail.

Luftwaffe Aces: German Combat Pilots of World War II (Stackpole Military History Series) (Paperback)
by Franz Kurowski

Hoping I get it on my three days off so I can get a chance to devour - er... read it.

Any of you guys read this one yet? Opinions?

I was told - rather nicely - that the book on Oberst Wick might be forthcoming, as well as the newer one (to me, at least) on Rudel for my wedding anniversary gifts - I'm going to see if I can sneak in Christer's book on Graf and Grislawski for good measure.

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography
Old 21st October 2006, 11:06

Nefiakoff is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I’ve got informations that Edu Neumann was awarded Ritterkreuz, but I don’t trust the sources. From the other side, I’ve got a photo of him made in January 1945 – he had no RK in that time.
Did Edu Neumann receive Ritterkreuz? If so, when was he awarded?

Regards

Nef
Old 21st October 2006, 12:59

Many Souffan is on a distinguished road

Hello.

One thing very interesting, "Edu" Neumann got his first victory in Spain the 4th sept. 1937. It was the first victory of 3./ J 88 against a Curtiss and the only one victory in He 51 of the unit during the command of "Dolfo" Galland. This latter will keep a very close friend of "Edu" At the same time the 1 & 2 staffel of J/88 were already on Bf 109. During this mission of the 4th Sept.the protection of the He 51 of the 3./ J 88 was given to the 2./ J 88 on Bf 109 with a victory of Reinhard Seiler another close friend to "Edu".

"Gulle" Oesau met "Edu" of course, because, before to take in charge the new Bf 109 for the 3./ J 88 under the command of "Vati" Mölders they made training on He 51 & old Bf 109 6.6, 6.10, 6.7 and it seem's that it was under the proctective look of "Edu". The same protective look he will have for "Jochen" Marseille in Lybia.

Thank you

(33) 661 406 013

many.souffan@gmail.com
Old 21st October 2006, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefiakoff View Post
Hello,

I’ve got informations that Edu Neumann was awarded Ritterkreuz, but I don’t trust the sources. From the other side, I’ve got a photo of him made in January 1945 – he had no RK in that time.
Did Edu Neumann receive Ritterkreuz? If so, when was he awarded?

Regards

Nef
No, he was never awarded the Ritterkreuz. For reference see 'Ritterkreuzträger' by Veit Scherzer or www.das-ritterkreuz.de
He was awarded the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on 11 May 1942 ('Die träger des Deutschenkreuzes in Gold' agian by Veit Scherzer)

Regards, Mike