Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th September 2008, 19:32

Tom Semenza
Bookshops in Paris?

I will be in Paris for a few days next month. Can anyone tell me if there are any bookshops in Paris specializing in military aviation titles. I recall from past searches that there was an aviation and/or military bookshop on the avenue de la Republique, but my memory could be wrong there.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Old 18th September 2008, 21:54
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Bookshops in Paris?

Tom

I know there is a quite good one on Boulevard Malesherbes. Think it is called Maison de Livres or something like that.
You can go to Metro Madeleine and ensure you face north (the street moves north-west). If you then walk north and use the left side of the street, you can't miss it. It is a bit to walk and the shop ain't that big, so keep an eye on the windows while you trundle along.
Last time I was there was in November last year. I walked to the place from Boule Mich so you can always comfort yourself with that I had a slightly longer walk...
If you have more time you can always go out to Musée de l'Air who has a reasonable bookshop department.
I also visited another place which I had been recommended by a friend. Unfortunately he just marked the place on my temporary map. Only open a couple of days a week during the afternoon. Very good, but I don't remember either name or address. Sorry about that.
Cheers
Stig
Old 18th September 2008, 22:20
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Tom

I know there is a quite good one on Boulevard Malesherbes. Think it is called Maison de Livres or something like that.
It's La Maison du Livre Aviation, 75 boulevard Malesherbes. It's also about a 10-minute walk from Gare St. Lazare, although take your street map because the most direct route is though side streets.
Old 18th September 2008, 22:40
Alter Hase

CJE

Another one:
Armes et Collections
19, ave de la République
75011 Paris

Not far from "Place de la République" with a Métro station shared by 5 lines: 3, 5, 8, 9 and 11.
Old 18th September 2008, 22:59

Tom Semenza

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the information. I just hope that there will be something else in the neighborhoods to amuse my wife while I peruse these shops!

Tom
Old 19th September 2008, 00:00
Alter Hase

CJE

Not really in the neighbourhood, but drop her by the "grands magasins" like "Le Printemps" and "Les Galeries Lafayette" and you should have at least two or three hours of complete freedom.
Use line 9 which will lead you to "République" and her to the "grands magasins".

Chris
Old 19th September 2008, 04:09

Tom Semenza

Merci beaucoup, Chris. C'est parfait!

Tom
Old 21st September 2008, 15:54

Arsenal VG-33 is on a distinguished road

Hello Tom, wellcome in Paris.

Yan can also visit "La Machine Volante" at rue Claude Decaen. They are selling second-hand and collection books. In the same (small) street you wille find another plastic-kits and bookshop from the french editor TMA at 75 rue Claude Decaen.
Make attention please, those shops are working from wenesday to saturday for the first one and from friday to saturday for the second one.

It's better to call before. Metro "Daumesnil".

You can either find kits and docs in "Kit'n Doc" shop, in Clichy a close suburb to Paris.
You will access by classical metro at Clichy's city hall, but have to walk à little after that.

Regards

VG-33
Old 21st September 2008, 18:33
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road

Years ago, during a couple of trips, I found a lot of great books just walking along the Seine across from Ile St Louis where all the second-hand book sellers exhibit. I picked up copies of the biographies of Sauvage, Bob Gouby, Benard Duperier, Clostermann as weli as three or four titles by Gisclon. Are these booksellers still there? Don't go to Shakespeare's, it takes too long to find anything and the prices are exhorbitant!

Drop your wife off at Printemps a la Mode or Samaratain and promise to meet her after a couple of hours... don't give her your credit card!!!!
Old 21st September 2008, 22:30

Atcham Tower is on a distinguished road

And don't forget that on the flat roof of Galeries Lafayette is a memorial stone to pioneer aviator Jules Vedrines who landed a Caudron G3 on it in 1919! Sadly, he was killed in a crash a few months later.