Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th August 2018, 10:09
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Halbstaffel 1.(F)/120 on 8 May 1945

Problem is (if we read Nick's data carefully) we only have a 2.Halbstaffel but no specified unit. Can we be sure it refers to Aufkl.G 120 in the first place?

Cheers
Stig
Old 10th August 2018, 11:05
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

If I'd known what I was going to start, I'd have kept quiet! So unless somebody lives close to Freiburg and can check the file … I was supposed to be researching the Italian front at the time, so this was just an interesting distraction for me. Plus this was all before digital cameras, so all I have is a pencil note and I hadn't yet learned to write down the German and worry about translating it later.

The context of the document was the disbandment of some units and the reinforcement of these remaining. Here is what I wrote down:

2 half Staffel 1/120 reinforced to reinforced to make 1. and 2. St.

… A/c to hand:

1/124 7 Ju 188 & 6 Ju 88
1. Halbstaffel/120 9 Ju 88
2 " " 5 Ju 88

Old 10th August 2018, 14:01

JoMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Semi-squadron means that one squadron has been split and deployed in two different locations. The unit remained the same, however, as this measure was only temporary.

best wishes
JoMe
Old 10th August 2018, 15:23
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMe View Post
Hi

Semi-squadron means that one squadron has been split and deployed in two different locations. The unit remained the same, however, as this measure was only temporary.

best wishes
JoMe
JoMe
Please read Rune Rautio's description of Halbstaffel (F)/120 in Norway to get the background.
According to him the Staffel was not half when it came to aircraft but rather to its back up equipment.

Nick
Thanks for the additional information. Don't feel sorry for starting all this.
Very interesting if you ask me!

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th August 2018, 12:01

Karl

Coming back to Rogers question about the Kurland rescue flights of 1 /(F)120:

The Ju 88 4N+RH, which landed at Eschwege on 8th of May 45 could well have been the one with Lt Walter Torn (pilot) and Ofw Heinz Zeissler (wireless operator) on board.

Here is the story as cited from the book “WEKUSTA Luftwaffe Meteorological Reconnaissance Units & Operations 1938-1945” by John A. Kington &Franz Selinger:

“Lt Walter Torn (F) of 1. (F)/120, based at Vaernes, was a well-experienced Met pilot having previously served with Wekusta 1 Ob,d.L., 3, 5 and 6. He recalls that on 8 May 1945 aircrews were alerted at 03.00 hr for a mission to Kurland to pick up wounded and sick soldiers: it had been rumoured that if captured they would be killed by Soviet troops, On arrival at Vaernes airfield the crews found eight ]u 88s, a ]u 188 and four Fw 200 (former KG 40 aircraft) had been made ready by ground crew for manning with mixed and reduced aircrews for maximum pick-up numbers. The ]u 88s, for example, were only to have a pilot and a wireless operator, instead of the normal four·man crew. Torn and Ofw Heinz Zeissler (Bf) taxied out at 06.00 hr in the first aircraft for the takeoff position. They were followed by the other ]u 88s, each with two drop tanks holding 900 litres (200 gallons) of extra fuel. Five minutes later, Torn and Zeissler took off but after their aircraft had reached no more than 100 m (300 ft) in altitude, Zeissler observed the next ]u 88 exploding. Torn returned to the airfield and located the crash west of the runway between the beacon hut and the fjord. Meanwhile, the other aircraft, followed by the Fw 200s, took off and set course on a southerly track. Torn circuited the airfield twice before heading for Oslo. While climbing to cruising altitude, he observed another ]u 88 passing by that a few minutes later crashed on a mountain near Ulsberg south of Trondheim. Torn and Zeissler were not able to identify either the aircraft or crew. Torn then flew, via Oslo, along the Swedish coast, passed Goeteborg and from Helsingborg set course on an easterly track, via Kristianstad, over the Baltic to the Kurland coast. Passing over Libau, they flew on northeast to arrive at Cirava airfield. When flying over the sea another ]u 88 had been observed but only ten minutes later it crashed into the water. Immediately after landing at Cirava, Torn taxied to the control tower. Another ]u 88 of the rescue mission had also landed safely. However, as soon as their engines were cut off, enemy fire, due either to Soviet artillery or a bombing raid, damaged the ]u88 piloted by Torn and wounded the wireless operator of the second]u 88. Torn and Zeissler then manned the still undamaged second aircraft and embarked 12 wounded soldiers in the bomb bay, together with three more in the cockpit. The engines were then started and they took off from the narrow wooden runway evading two Soviet tanks approaching the edge of the airfield. Heading out over the sea they set course on a heading of 2200 in order to reach either German or Allied controlled territory. Another hazardous flight was then made over skies which only a day or so before any German aircraft would probably have been attacked by Allied fighters. After passing over Magdeburg with a dwindling fuel supply, they searched for an airfield. A railway line was followed until after reading the name, Eschwege, on a station, they sighted an airfield. This was the now Allied-held Eschwege airfield where they landed at 16.00 hr. However, this did not occur without incident for on their approach they were shot at to port and landed on an emergency field nearby but not before shearing off the undercarriage. On stumbling out of the cockpit of the wrecked ]u 88 they encountered an American platoon who initially began relieving the Germans of their valuables but this action was stopped on the arrival of a captain. The 12 wounded men in the bomb bay were then released. Torn, Zeissler and their party were immediately arrested and became PoWs.”

Regards, Karl
Old 12th August 2018, 12:54
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

1.(F)/120 used 2 different airfields. That was the reason to say they operated as Halbstaffeln. They did have one and the same StKptn during this period.

Attached from KTB Gen. d. A.
Junker

Last edited by ju55dk; 6th November 2020 at 22:57.
Old 12th August 2018, 13:42
Alter Hase

Thanks Jörn

Someone always seems to have the answer, in this case you!
Thanks for solving the problem for us.
Highly appreciated!!

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th August 2018, 14:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Thanks Jörn

Someone always seems to have the answer, in this case you!
Thanks for solving the problem for us.
Highly appreciated!!

Cheers
Stig
And I've had the same document for 30 years and didn't think to check it, so I must add my thanks.
Old 13th August 2018, 11:16
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju55dk View Post
1.(F)/120 used 2 different airfields. That was the reason to say they operated as Halbstaffeln. They did have one and the same StKptn during this period.

Attached from KTB Gen. d. A.
Junker
Jörn
I take it the date is 19.2.1945?

I also note with some glee that the Germans also were masters of abreviations.
In your attachment there is this "m.d.W.d.G.d.Gr.Kdrs" which is a master piece!
I presume the complete sentence means that Hptm Erzberger from NAG 4 will take over NAG 8 as Gr Kdr?

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th August 2018, 12:12
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

Yes the date is as mentioned.

" Hptm Erzberger from NAG 4 will take over NAG 8 as Gr Kdr?"

Yes and no. It say in German:
Mit der Warnehmung der Geschäfte der Gruppenkommandeur. He is acting GrpKdr, doing the job without beeing appointed permanently.

Yes I love the German language with it's long abreviations. I'm used to it in the danish army, having loads of NATO terms. No one outside the military have a clue about what these means;-)

Junker