Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th June 2005, 22:45
In Memoriam

Eric Larger
Fw190A-8 on june 7th 1944

Hello

the picture attached to this mail has been taken on June 7th 1944 near le Trait (west of Rouen) on the river Seine bank . This location is 6 km from home . The machine wore a black 7 on the fuselage without white outline and no group bar . This machine could belong either to I./JG2 or I./JG26 who fought againts P51 in this area acirca 07:00 . 2 victories . I have not find any information this machine belly landed
does anyone have fuurther informations on it ?.

Many thanks

Ericc
Old 8th June 2005, 01:56
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Fw190A-8 on june 7th 1944

Eric
No photo but it sounds just stunning! I will check what I have on combats that day, though at the first glance it does not look like Sworniowski's victory, the German pilot bailing out, nor Twomey's - the Fw dived vertically into the ground. Possibly it could have been an aircraft landed during the D-Day as well.
Old 8th June 2005, 17:34
In Memoriam

Eric Larger

Yes I have attached th photo to the post , but nothing happened .

The machine made a wheel-up emergengy landing . and except the bent propeller seems in good state .

The location is sure as in the background the cranes of Le Trait harbour can be seen in the background . KL trait in on the river Seine , 50 km from the see . The were a ship and u-boat assembly point there .

The police report said the machine landed at 8:50 .

Eric
Old 9th June 2005, 11:36
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, Eric

I./JG 2 lost one aircraft on June 7th, the pilot, an officer, reported as missing, thus a Namentliche Verlustemeldung exist which would give You all details needed to establish if this is the aircraft You are looking for info on.

JG 2 is not my special interest, and I have not yet started the NVM work on this unit, but I am sure other participants on the board have!

I./JG 26 lost a total of 9! aircraft on this date. 3 listed as missing, thus the same apply to these. 1 were lost to Flak, total loss, while 2 were destroyed and 1 damaged by strafing. The last two were damaged in accidents, thus there were less than 50% damage on these (typically landing or take-off accidents)

There is a discrepancy between the number of aircraft listed as missing, and the number of pilots lost, (3 vs 2) which would indicate that one of the pilots later returned to the unit and were stricken from the loss records...

My best bet to resolve this would be to establish contact with JG 2 and JG 26 scholars - there should be some on this board, or contact the WASt for NVM's for the pilots lost by these units on this date.

Regards,
Andreas
Old 9th June 2005, 16:15
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Eric
The aircraft may have been involved in combat with 56 FG. At 08:30 Lt. Curtis of 63 FS claimed 1-0-0 Fw 190 at Lyones la Foret. It is an opposite side of Rouen but such inaccuracies just happen in combat. I will try to check combat report.
This Focke Wulf does not appear on loss lists known to me but the records are not complete.
Any chances for a decent scan of the photo?
Old 9th June 2005, 16:53
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Eric,

Please check if the following info solves your attachement problems.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=884

Regards,

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 10th June 2005, 09:36
In Memoriam

Eric Larger

Hello many thanks for your posts

I will try later this week to add this photo .

Thanks also Franek . Be aware that in 10 minutes , in an Embraer twin engine aircraft, you go from Deauville to Rouen , circa 94 km by road . So Lyons la Foret is on the other side of Rouen but not so far by plane from the location the aircraft was found .

ALl the best

Eric
Old 10th June 2005, 14:58
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

A thought about something regarding this aircraft. There is a G-3 from SKG 10, marked gelb 7 listed as lost. Now, I wonder if orthochromatic film were used the yellow 7 might look black? Second, the G-3 was equal to the A-6, but, I wonder if the cowling in the photo is clearly a "bulged" A-8 cowl? If so, them my ideas are useless!