Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th December 2005, 22:22
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Hi Mike

Yes please, I would like to know what you have. I note that a P-51 pilot from the 309th FS claimed a Me210 - and that this was possibly a Mosquito from 151 Squadron RAF. Any advance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks also, Tundra, for your lengthy contribution - much appreciated.

Cheers
Brian
Old 19th December 2005, 00:33
Alter Hase

Bob Collis

Please Contact Me Via This Website - I Can't Reply To Your Private Messages.

Brian
Old 19th December 2005, 15:40

mhuxt

Hi Brian:

151 Squadron or 157 Squadron? In either case, do you have a date which I might match to a list of mossie losses?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 22nd December 2005, 16:53
Alter Hase

Hi Mark

I believe it was a 151 Squadron aircraft lost on 6 August 1944, but I haven't had chance to check the ORB yet. Any info you may have will be appreciated. Thanks.

May I take this opportunity to thank all of you wonderful guys who have so generously responded and contributed to my many requests for help - and to wish you all a Happy Christmas and Prosperous and Healthy New Year.

Cheers and bottoms up
Brian
Old 22nd December 2005, 19:52

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Brian- if you would E-mail me I have the whole story and mission report of
this incident. My Father, John C. Howell, was on this mission.
357th FG , 364th Sq. C5 - L " Shoo Shoo Baby"
Mike Howell
mhowell590@aol.com
Old 25th December 2005, 06:35

mhuxt

Hi Brian:

There was a 151 Squadron loss that day, but as far as I can see, the crew were lost to flak while attacking rail targets, with this being witnessed by another 151 Squadron crew.

ORB is pretty much transcribed here:

http://www.151squadron.org.uk/

The 157 Sqn aircraft I was thinking of was lost on 9 September 1944 off Lowestoft, apparently to a 109, but I've not been able to find a matching claim. I thought it might have been a 51.

Perhaps you're thinking of the 107 Sqn incident on 28 March '44?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 25th December 2005, 13:57
Alter Hase

Hi Mark

You've made my Christmas with another incident unrecorded by me!! Do please understand that I am still researching this period and have no had time to devote to processing all squadrons ORBs etc at this stage, hence the many gaps in what was sadly a period of many misidentifications, as you are no doubt aware. Anyway, I haven't any information on the 157 Squadron Mosquito loss to a 109/P-51 for 9 September 1944, so would appreciate what you have uncovered, please. But do let the Christmas pud digest first!!

Re the 28 March shooting down of the 107 Squadron Mosquito - I believe the culprit may have been Lt Charles Anderson of 335th. Are you able to confirm this?

Thanks again for taking the time to help - have a good Christmas and New Year.

Brian
Old 28th December 2005, 23:41

mhuxt

Hi Brian:

Urrrm, I don't want to put a damper on Xmas, but you should understand that the 157 Sqn / P-51 incident is pure speculation on my part.

Seems like a strange place and time for a 109 to be, couldn't find a matching claim, so I'm speculating it might have been a 51, nothing more.

I'm still trying to find details of an incident in which a P-61 attacked and shot down a Mosquito - do you know whether this was 28/29 September? Chris Shores has a 21 Sqn. Mosquito listed as "sdbAf" on this date - "shot down by Allied fire"?

Should have some other P-61 stuff around here somewhere if you like.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 29th December 2005, 14:54
Alter Hase

Hi Mark

Mosquito NT179 of 21 Sqn to which you refer was shot down by 219 Squadron Mosquito HK250 on 28/29 Sepetmber 1944.

I have had a quick check and have found that a P-61 attacked and damaged a 488 Squadron Mosquito on 26 June 1944, though Mossie was able to land safely. No idea which US crew was responsible. I also have note of two other Mossies that fell to Allied night fighters about which I lack detail, so either, neither or both may have been P-61 victims.

16/17 June 1944 Mosquito of 409 Squadron shot down and POW.
6/7 March 1945 Mosq MM237 of 105 Sqn - crew injured.

I hope to get to Kew next week and will have a look at 157 Squadron's ORB more more details of the Mossie loss on 8 September 1944. Thanks for the lead anyway.

Cheers
Happy New Year
Brian
Old 30th December 2005, 16:09
Alter Hase

Hi guys

Thought you'd like a break from all this serious research. Hope no one is offended!

Jed had been in the liquor business for 25 years. Finally, sick of the stress, he quit his job and bought 50 acres of land in Alaska as far from humanity as possible. He saw the postman once a week and got groceries once a month. Otherwise, it was total peace and quiet. After about six months of almost total isolation, someone knocked on his door. He opened it and a huge, bearded man was standing there.
"Name's Lars, your neighbor from forty miles up the road. Having a New Year's Eve party Friday night...thought you might like to come. About 5:00."
"Great", says Tom, "after six months out here I'm ready to meet some local folks. Thank you."
As Lars left, he stopped.
"Gotta warn you......be some drinkin'."
"Not a problem" says Tom. "After 25 years in the business, I can drink with the best of 'em."
Again, the big man started to leave and stopped.
"More 'n' likely gonna be some fightin', too."
"Well, I get along with people; I'll be all right. I'll be there Thanks again."
"More'n likely be some wild sex, too!"
"Now that's really not a problem," says Tom, warming to the idea "I've been all alone for six months! I'll definitely be there. By the way, what should I wear?"
"Don't much matter ..... Just gonna be the two of us ..."

FINALLY ... a seasonal recipe:

1 cup of water 1 tsp baking soda 1 cup of sugar 1 tsp salt 1 cup or brown sugar 4 large eggs 1 cup nuts 2 cups of dried fruit 1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila.
Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer... Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup..just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit, Pick the xxxx fruit off the floor..

Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who giveshz a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

Smile!
Brian