Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th October 2013, 19:02
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
Hpt. Lorenz Stalingrad

Is anymore about Hpt. Lorenz of Signal Regt. 38 who the Luftwaffe War Diaries states flew a transport out of Tazinskaja on 24-12-42, despite having never been a pilot. The book says for this exploit Lorenz was given an honorary pilots badge by Richhofen,

Brian Bines

Last edited by Brian Bines; 21st October 2013 at 17:13.
Old 20th October 2013, 21:40
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Hpt. Lorenz Stalingrad

There are a good 8 Ln. officers with the last name LORENZ, so a first name would be a big help. Since this involves both Stalingrad and Richthofen, I thought there might be something about it in Joel S.A. Hayward's Stopped at Stalingrad, but there is no mention of it. The book is based on von Richthofen's personal diary during mid-1942 to spring 1943.

L.
Old 20th October 2013, 22:29
Alter Hase

Sorry Larry but that is all I have I have only seen mention of this in the 'The Luftwaffe Diaries' book which only gave his surname. I tried the Luft Officers Career Summaries site but could not find a possible Lorenz. I wondered if this ever appeared in the Signal magazine,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 20th October 2013, 22:57
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bines View Post
Sorry Larry but that is all I have I have only seen mention of this in the 'The Luftwaffe Diaries' book which only gave his surname. I tried the Luft Officers Career Summaries site but could not find a possible Lorenz. I wondered if this ever appeared in the Signal magazine,
Regards
Brian Bines
That would be a good bet, Brian. Also, Cajus Bekker, author of Diaries, got a lot of his material from the great mass of so-called "PK" articles written during the war by embedded war correspondents (Kriegsberichter). Wartime media sources almost always omitted names or at least the first name. These "PK" (stands for Propaganda-Kompanie) articles could appear anywhere, e.g., Signal, Wehrmacht magazine, large German newspapers, troop newspapers and news sheets, etc. There are a few out there who collect these articles and I have also seen some of them appear in the microfilms and in the popular postwar paperback series published by Podzun-Verlag, but I do not know of a single-source collection of them such as one might find in a library, but I have always suspected there is one somewhere.

Larry
Old 21st October 2013, 16:33
Alter Hase

Larry, thanks for your help. Just hope I can be pointed in the right direction if the story was dealt with in Signal or the other publications, then I might be able to get a copy if I know the month it featured,

regards

Brian Bines
Old 21st October 2013, 16:56

Allan125 is on a distinguished road

Hello Brian

What actual date does 24-14-42 represent please, my calendar only goes up to 12 months in 1942, or indeed in any year !?

cheers

Allan
Old 21st October 2013, 17:16
Alter Hase

Cheers Allan should have checked more carefully it should be 24-12-1942, must get stronger reading glasses,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 21st October 2013, 17:46

Allan125 is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian

Thanks - clearer now - I tried the old, 30 days hath September, April, June and November, all the rest have 31 days clear, except February, and the unknown 13th and 14th months of which I have no idea, but one at least has 24!!

Allan