Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th December 2016, 10:10

c.lhardy is on a distinguished road
Research on a ME 109 engine found in Normandy

My name is Christophe Lhardy, I'm involved in a french association which aims to rebuild Napoleonian buildings on a Normandy island, on Saint Marcouf Islands. You can fine some stuff on our project on our website, in french (especially on this page ; http://www.ilesaintmarcouf.com/l%e2%...-debarquement/)

The Large Island is 7 km far away from coast, near to Utah Beach WW II landing beach. On the island stands a circular fort, 54m diameter, which had two stairs towers. The towers have been destroyed, one during the war, the another one after.

A Messerschmidt 109 motor stands on the broken tower. We have also found some metallic pieces, mostly in aluminium, a 20mm bombshell, and a metallic piece with a hole of approximatively 20mm.

Some people have told us about a bomber cabin on the second Saint Marcouf Island, which is 350m away from Large Island in the 50th. Some divers have told us about the bomber cabin in the sea some years after (80 to 2000th).

We think that a Me 109 has been destroyed just above the island, the motor landed on the tower or the towers ruins, the rest of the plane crashed on the other island. Now we would like to learn more about this plane, and maybe discover and explain his history, and maybe find the pilot's family in Germany.

Could you help us ? Is it possible to know who are the Luftwaffe destroyed planes and missing pilots during the period beetween june 1944 and december 1944 (Normandy Battle) ? Who could help us to work on the questions about this plane ?
Old 30th December 2016, 12:46

Mr Schmitt is on a distinguished road
Re: Research on a ME 109 engine found in Normandy

Hi, You probably already know this. The motor is a DB605, as the casting states 9-605. This would be a later m109, possibly me109G for example.
Hope this helps. Kind Regards