Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 4th January 2017, 04:11

Tom Semenza
Seeking ID of FAA Hellcat pilot J.W.C. Strit

Sturtivant's Fleet Air Ar Aircraft, 1939 to 1945 is a wealth of information but not without obvious flaws. Under Hellcat II JW892 there is the following entry:

1839 Sqn 3.45 - 7.45; . . . B6N shot down in flames off Mysko Jima 11.45 4.5.45 (Lt JWC Strit)

I can find no such officer in the Navy List; nothing even close in the list of 1839 pilots during 1945. Indeed the name "Strit" cannot be found on the Free BDM website, so not an English name. Does anyone have ant idea who this might be?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 4th January 2017, 06:49
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking ID of FAA Hellcat pilot J.W.C. Strit

I believe Strit was Dutch but only because I found a Strit with the Dutch East Indies Company in 1761! He could equally well have been a New Zealander or Australian.

Incidentally I believe Strits kill was shared with 3 other pilots.
Old 4th January 2017, 16:43
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

By Free BDM website do you mean BMD? This is restricted to England and Wales, although the non-appearance on the Navy List would suggest he wasn't Scottish or irish either.

I believe that there may be a publication dedicated to Dutch pilots in the FAA, but I don't have it myself. You might like to consider https://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/...ers-raf-en-faa, although I couldn't find a Strit there.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:26
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

This is an error for Lt(A) Patrick Dennis Collins Street, who was flying JW892 that day. See CR: ADM 199/842, pg 691-4.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 5th January 2017, 00:49

Tom Semenza

Many thanks, Frank. I suspected the name was wrong. Sturtivant, however, says that Street was flying Hellcat I JV115 for the claim on that date. Was this a shared claim?

Graham, yes, a typo on my part. I meant the "Free BMD" website.

Keith, as you may be aware, the Navy List provides info on Commonwealth naval officers as well. There is also what appears to be a fairly comprehensive list of Dutch personnel serving with both the RAF and FAA which provides full names, date and place of birth, squadrons served with, etc. I downloaded this in PDF form but, unfortunately, I didn't note the website source.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by Tom Semenza; 5th January 2017 at 00:53. Reason: Update
Old 5th January 2017, 01:10
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Tom,
Chopped up into four pieces. The others were SubLt (A) Derek Alan Haddon in JW872, SubLt(A) Donald Frank Creabs (serial not given), and SubLt(A) Michael Frederick Stringfield (RNZN) (serial also not given). Serials might be on the original combat reports. I think ADM 199/842 may be bound too tight so that my Xerox copy missed those details.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 5th January 2017, 02:22
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Tom,

Put the following into Google, and you should be able to download the Dutch/RAF/FAA Listing:

lijst-van-nederlandse-vliegers-bij-de-raf-en-de-faa-1940-1945.pdf

Col.
Old 5th January 2017, 03:35

Tom Semenza

Frank, once again I'm in your debt. Sturtivant would have each of the four pilots with an individual claim but all are timed at 11:45. Per Sturtivant: Creabs in JX737 (W162) and Stringfield in JW741 (W131).

Col., that is exactly where I got the download, thanks!

Tom
Old 10th January 2017, 23:32
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road

PDC Street had already made kills with both 806 and 882 Squadrons in 1942