Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th May 2018, 13:39

James Farrimond is on a distinguished road
Convoy reconnaissance

Good afternoon

Can anyone tell me whether if a convoy made its way from Port Said to Liverpool In mid October 1939 would it be susceptible to discovery by any reconnaissance aircraft operating within range? Was there any luftwaffe setup that early on to provide reconnaissance for British convoys? Presumably they’d have to be very long range. Just wondering whether they were allowed a presence in either Italy or neutral Spain that early on

James
Old 6th May 2018, 19:26

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: Convoy reconnaissance

As far as I can tell, that early in the war, in October 1939, there was no German reconnaissance aircraft based in Italy or Spain. Both countries were neutral (i.e., on the German side), and would not allow the Luftwaffe aircraft to be based there.
Old 6th May 2018, 19:36
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Luftwaffe long-range reconnaissance over the Atlantic with any meaningful coverage in October 1939 is doubtful. But the convoy's cargo, departure and movements were quite likely known to German Abwehr agents and to the naval Funkhorchdienst operating out of Hamburg. You can find basic coverage of this subject in the following books as well as those of more current vintage on the same topic:

Farago, Ladislas. The Game of the Foxes: The Untold Story of German Espionage in the United States and Great Britain During World War II.
Kahn, David. Hitler’s Spies: German Military Intelligence in World War II.

L.
Old 6th May 2018, 22:48
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Way beyond the range of German recce ac which at this stage were still based in Germany. Fw 200s were the only ac capable & there were too few of them & in any case they were operating from the north of Germany
Old 7th May 2018, 09:28

James Farrimond is on a distinguished road

Thanks Guys

James
Old 7th May 2018, 10:23
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

I would be very surprised if the Germans did not ask their Italian Allies and Spanish friends to keep an eye on British movements in the Med area. I doubt if the Italians would say no to such a request

So even if the Italians were not at war at this time, they surely must have had their own recce planes all over the Med and as long as they stayed over International waters there must have been very little the British could have done about it unless they wanted to declare war on Italy themselves.

Spain was neutral of course, but there is little doubt which side they "favoured". So I am very positive that they also passed on any intelligence the Germans wanted and which they could give away without being caught 'in flagranti'

This together with other intelligence already mention would mean the Germans had a very good control of what happened in the area.

Cheers
Stig
Old 7th May 2018, 12:08

I believe that in October 1939 the Germans had more pressing things to worry about than the British ship movement in the Mediterranean area.
Old 7th May 2018, 12:24

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

Hello James,
Do you have a specific convoy in mind?

Bruce
Old 7th May 2018, 13:28
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
I believe that in October 1939 the Germans had more pressing things to worry about than the British ship movement in the Mediterranean area.
Indeed

But that is not how intelligence works.
Britain was an Empire in 1939 and if you start a war with an Empire you also need to keep track of what the Empire can do and will do, not only its Motherland.

That is how I would have done it, and I don't think anyone back in the 1930s would have thought otherwise.

Cheers
Stig
Old 7th May 2018, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Indeed

...Britain was an Empire in 1939 and if you start a war with an Empire you also need to keep track of what the Empire can do and will do, not only its Motherland...

Cheers
Stig
Well, it is the Empire which declared the war on Germany on 3 September 1939, and not the other way around.

As for the state of German Intelligence, the picture was really mixed - some notable successes, and some dismal failures. I read somewhere, must have been here https://books.google.ie/books/about/...AJ&redir_esc=y, that Milch ordered a couple of books from English bookstores, which told him more about Britain that he could learn from his own intelligence. Anyway...

Last edited by sidney; 7th May 2018 at 14:34.