Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th May 2011, 13:40

konrad.strzelecki is on a distinguished road
Airfield Swidnik, Poland (archive research needed)

Dear colleagues,

My hometown, Swidnik is located 7km east from Lublin in eastern Poland. Airfield Swidnik was constructed in 1937 as a Poland’s largest and most modern civil aviation training base (pre-conscription training). Bombed by the Luftwaffe in September 1939 but suffered only moderate damage. During the WW2 it was actively used by Luftwaffe until July 1944, when Soviets came in.

I've been exploring the history of Swidnik airfield for four years. As a result of collected documents together with my friends, we have created a website:

Polish aviation school:
http://www.historia.swidnik.net/lotn...szkola-pilotow

Luftwaffe 1940-41:
http://www.historia.swidnik.net/foto...affe-1940-1941

There is an intelligence report (British Air Ministry's Directorate of Intelligence, Section A.I.2.(b)) saying details about the airfield. And there is additional information saying that the report is prepared on the basis of aerial photo which was taken taken 10 July 1944.

This is the document I found about month ago in British National Archives: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...CATID=-3199344
I wrote to them, but unfortunatelly I was told, that without hiring a researcher or personal visit I won't be able to know anything about what is inside.

A friend from US who I correspond with, told me that there most definitely is a photo dated 10 July 1944. He has not seen it because it is not in the AFHRA Maxwell collection, so my best bet would be to obtain it from London. He told me that the best way to go about finding someone to locate the photo for me at the BNA in London is 12 O'clock High! discussion forum.

Therefore, I would like to ask if there is any researcher here, who has access to National Archives UK and could help me locate this photography.

I would be grateful for help or any instructions.
Thanks in advance.

Konrad

Last edited by konrad.strzelecki; 12th May 2011 at 14:20. Reason: Subject wasn't saying what is post about.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:39
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Airfield Swidnik, Poland (archive research needed)

Hello Konrad,

I am embarrassed that no one here would come forward and offer you some help. So I suggest you try the following web site, the owner of which is a member here and was quite active until 6 months ago or so:

http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/

I hope he is still in business as I am sure he can find the file and photo from July 1944. I am told his fees are quite reasonable.

Good luck!

Larry deZ.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:38

konrad.strzelecki is on a distinguished road

Hello Larry,

Actually there is someone who helped me I received a PM and I'm on track for finding aerial photography of Swidnik. Thank you!

Best regards,
Konrad

[SOLVED]
Old 16th May 2011, 16:57
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

That's excellent news, Konrad, and I hope the photo and file will provide you with updated information on L-Swidnik including coverage of the additional infrastructure the Luftwaffe built there during the war years after 1940-41. It is a mystery to me why AFHRA at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery/Alabama did not have the 1944 data when it does for every other airfield in Europe.

Cheers,

Larry