Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th February 2020, 04:33

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Richard E. Turner

Re-reading Richard Turner's excellent 'Mustang Pilot' after nearly 30 years. Have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying it second time around, as much as I did first time.

In regards to his claims, I've noticed quite a difference in totals. In modern literature Turner seems to be credited with 11 aerial victories. Yet the total claimed in his book differs. I quote from his book (applies to the period he was just taken off Operations):

"With nothing better to do, for the next few days, I sat down with the Squadron operational records to review my total combat tour. From December 1, 1943, to September 5, 1944, I had flown 96 combat missions while spending 294 hours and 40 minutes in the air. I had submitted claims for 32½ enemy aircraft destroyed. Of those 32½ destroyed, 20 were aerial victories and 12½ were destroyed as a result of strafing."

He is not relying on memory, he actually sat down with official records and compiled the figures above at the time ie September 1944.

So my questions is, if he was credited with 20 aerial victories in 1944, why is his total less according to modern day books? Who/when would have adjusted his score?

ASWWIAH Member
Old 17th February 2020, 06:57
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Richard E. Turner

Jim,

I think there is a little bit of hand waving going on here. My files show him with 11/0/8 aerial victories, which is close to the 20 he mentions. Each of these can be documented. The 9th and 19th Tactical Air Command Victory Credit Board reports are held by USAFHRA at Maxwell AFB. The combat reports for the 356th FS are held by NARA II in College Park, Maryland. One of the damaged claims does not appear to be covered by a VCB report (unless I missed it), although there is an encounter report.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 17th February 2020, 08:32

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

11/0/8 covers destroyed, probably destroyed and damaged doesn't it?

From the language in the book I gather Turner is definitely talking about aircraft destroyed in air combat.

ASWWIAH Member
Old 17th February 2020, 10:20
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Keep in mind 1/Lt Richard E. Turner, 356 FS/354 FG (P-51D 44-13561:AJ-T), claimed two (pilotless) aircraft (V-1s) on Sunday, 18 June, 1944. Don't know how that fits in with his claims for aircraft destroyed.

See:
Diver! Diver! Diver! RAF and American Fighter Pilots Battle the V-1 Assault over South-East England 1944-45.
Cull,Brian with Bruce Lander.
London:Grub Street,2008.
pp.55 & 388.

Col.
Old 17th February 2020, 20:38
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Also remember that when most of these memoires were published the individuals had no idea that historians and enthusiast would sit and nit pick every word they wrote.

To me it is pretty clear that Lt Col Turner did not distinguish between the exact meaning of his claims. But so what? He was there, he did his job and he was part of the force which has enabled most of us to live in a far better world than if he and many others had not!

My British copy of the book lists him in the appendix with 12 confirmed claims, but I go for Frank's total any day of the year.

Cheers
Stig