Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th April 2010, 04:00
larrycad

Project Aphrodite pilot

Greetings. My father-in-law was the pilot on the last mission for this project, the mission flown on Jan. 1, 1945. From what I can discover, his co-pilot on the mission was a "Lt. L. Lawing". My FIL was Capt. J. Hodson, and their airplane was named "stump jumper". Since the mission ended with no destruction of enemy equipment, the project was subsequently cancelled and no more missions were flown after his on Jan. 1, 1945. I am trying to find out more about the specifics of this project and this mission. My FIL is still alive, but is reluctant to discuss the mission. My wife, his daughter, and the rest of his family consider him a hero, and would like to know more about what he did to serve his country. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 14th April 2010, 12:47
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Project Aphrodite pilot

Larry,

Try this link: http://www.b17flyingfortress.de/eng/...phrodite11.php

It's a 12-page document describing the Project.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 14th April 2010, 12:57
Alter Hase

Larry,

B-17 "Stump Jumper" had serial 42-30237 and was shot down by Flak on the last mission op the Project. This was to hit a power station in Oldenburg, Germany.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 14th April 2010, 16:01

Icare9 is on a distinguished road

A more intriguing link about the use of clapped out combat weary B17's packed with explosives and guided by radio control to their targets (supposedly!):- http://www.orwelltoday.com/jfkbrother.shtml
Old 15th April 2010, 02:11
larrycad

Thank you all for the responses. I am aware that the mission flown by my father in law, was similar to that flown by Joe Kennedy. Is there any information available regarding his co-pilot, Lt. L Lawing, or the other plane on the mission flown by 2Lt J Stein and Lt E Morris? I would like to discuss these pilots with my father in law, but would like to know as much as possible before that conversation takes place.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 15th April 2010, 12:20

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

If you haven't got it already, Jack Olsen's book on Project Aphrodite 'Desperate Mission' is essential reading (although it is written a bit like a movie suggesting much of the dialogue is made up):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aphrodite-De...1324128&sr=1-2

Funnily enough, whilst walking on heathland just outside Walberswick, Suffolk, aged about 7 in 1980, my father has told me that I had asked him 'why that rabbit hole had a metal door on it'. He pulled the piece of metal out of the ground and it was a twisted piece of aluminium that had clearly been in an explosion. We later looked at maps and the area was directly below where Kennedy's Liberator exploded. In 2006, my father went walking in the same area and saw another piece of aluminium sticking out of the ground. It was some sort of large finned air-cooled aluminium engine cylinder, so he gave it to Parham Air Museum.
Old 15th April 2010, 13:37
Alter Hase

Larry,

If I understand correctly, then the Project Aphrodite fell under the responsibility of 562nd Bomb Squadron, 388th Bomb Group.

Looking at the personnel index on the 388th website (388thbg.org), I found:

2nd Lt J. J. Stein (0-755450)
1st Lt Edward Morris (0-818294)
Lt Lloyd F. Lawing (O-819546)
and likely your father-in-law 1st Lt James L. Hodson (O-808423).

For all four it gives as unit 560th Bomb Squadron.

Perhaps you can contact the historians of that BG to see if they have more info.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 5th May 2010, 03:47
larrycad

I want to thank all who responded to my request for information regarding a flight by my father-in-law on Jan 1, 1945 while participating in project aphrodite. Because of this information, I have found out a great deal about this mission.

Some of you may be interested to know that my FIL, Capt. Jack Hodson, experienced a serious fall last weekend and had to be life flighted to a level 1 trauma center for emergency surgery on Monday this week. He is currently in ICU and is having difficulty breathing due to many injuries including cracked ribs, collapsed lung, broken pelvis and other injuries. In my opinion, he is a genuine American hero who served his country during a very difficult time. His family is praying for his recovery which at 86 years old, will be difficult.

Larry
Old 6th May 2010, 15:31
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry

Obviously sorry to learn of the accident and his condition, but I'm sure that I can say on behalf of all members that we are thinking of him in his hour of need.

Brian
Old 10th May 2010, 03:47
larrycad

We have just discovered this photo of my father in law and other pilots. This photo was taken in Washington DC in February, 1945, the month after Project Aphrodite was closed down and we suspect that the others shown in the photo are also pilots who participated in this project. The names are (left to right) My father in law, Capt. Jack Hodson, Yorkshire, Davis, ??????, Deeli, Carlton, Harry, Horn.

These names are the best I can make out. If anyone has any information on these others, please let me know.

Thanks,
Larry