Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th February 2020, 16:34
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Junkers 88 wreck part

NICK,

It is always a pleasure to read such a detailed account...Thank you for remembering me of your site and immense work transcribed there...Keep going...you do inspire a lot of persons.

OBS: Passed your contact to my friend...he may contact you soon.

A.
Old 6th February 2020, 18:16

zlatanmola is on a distinguished road

I am impressed with your preparation. So I take this opportunity to give you some more information.

A plane's cart was recovered seven years ago, about 20km from Bari. The photo has a very low resolution but I am attaching it anyway in case it can give you some ideas.

There is another Junkers 88 missing near Bari, not listed.
It is a Ju88 A-4 5 / KG1 (MED) # 5712 piloted by Kohler Georg, missing in Bari on 20/04/1943.

If what Nick says corresponds to reality, namely that the piece of the wreck not belonging to an A-4, the research certainly directs me on the Junkers A-5, even if on a document found on the web, the A-5 plane is reported as A-4 (attachment). But considering Nick's great work, I think it can certainly be said that it is an A-5.

I will continue my research, hoping to be able to count on your help in the future.

Again thank you very much!
Old 6th February 2020, 19:48
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatanmola View Post
If what Nick says corresponds to reality, namely that the piece of the wreck not belonging to an A-4 …
All I am saying is that the two aircraft lost from the 2 December 1943 raid were reported as missing. In other words their location was not known.

Incidentally, both the missing aircraft were reported as Ju 88 A-4 by the Luftwaffe’s General Quartiermeister.
Old 7th February 2020, 00:49
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
zlatanmola,

I guess that ED answered your querry...this part seems NOT to be related to Ju 88 A-4...so it may be Ju 88A-5 Werk # 300267 "B3 + EH" (lost 2/12/1943) – 1./KG 54.

Of course, other losses on the area may have been reported too...I do not have the full list of losses over Bari and my knowledge of airframe part numbers is nil (zero).

You will find onto this Board a huge "Family" of brothers with the same interest, some real experts on their fields of knowledge (such Ed North), a lot of well known writers, sprog writers, modelists, novelists....all branches you can imagine. Someone surely will try to match your query. It has been 13 years I have been here and one of the most gratifying experiences, I assure you...a real pleasure to be here almost every day...do learn quite a lot!

Cheerio and maybe you do find more pieces of the wreckage...some of the new ones can bring the clue to the identity of the machine and its fate, crews, etc...

A.

Baumgartner

Part indentified (post #1) was (presumably) used on Ju 88 A-1 (older) thru A-17, if thats not clear - and that 300267 was truly a A-4 version aircraft - no way it be a A-5 as that version had been out of production for two years when A-4 300267 was assembled. And everybody now knows A-5 come before A-4, but shure, lots of A-5s were lost in and around Italy. Litterally thousands of Ju 88s were lost in Med area.
088/300267 Ju 88 A-4 B3+EH 1./KG 54 (Luftflotte 2)
OPS (F) missing (100%) unk location (Bari Harbour) 02.12.1943 (F Fw. Walter Klein, B Ofw. Hugo Hinsch, BF Uffz. Julius Rübel and BS Gefr. Paul Höfler missing) [Note: 2 losses in night 02.-03.12.43 of 105 aircraft force sent to attack Bari Harbour.]
Old 31st March 2020, 13:49

technomad is on a distinguished road

Good morning everybody, i' a diver involved at the moment in some researches in Adriatic sea about german and allied wrecks.
I was talking with the owner of the part found on the Bari beach and the part seems molten.
About the raid: we have witnesses that one plane in 2 dec attack crashed in front of Molo Sant'Antonio area, the old Bari port (it's very small).
The other one a bit more far away on sea direction.
I can tell you that they are shallow waters always under fishing nets and a wreck recovery its quite difficult. Surely it will be in hundreads parts.
We will start a recon as soon as covid 19 will be finished.
It's also quite possible that the part found finished in Mola di Bari due to fishnets as it was found.
Have a good day

Tags
junkers ju 88, luftwaffe, wreck, wwii