Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th August 2010, 17:33

Greg B is on a distinguished road
Hurricane V6776, Pilot Eric S Bann

I wonder if anybody can help me, Hurricane V6776 flown by Eric Bann was shot down by a ME 109 on September 28th, 1940. Eric Bann was sadly killed when his parachute failed to open, his aircraft crashing on the north side of Culver Down, Isle of Wight. The question I have is was this aircraft ever recovered by archaeological dig ?
Old 17th August 2010, 18:21
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane V6776, Pilot Eric S Bann

I think only fragments have ever been recovered, but I suspect that is the sum total of whatever might remain.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:20
Alter Hase

Might the following be linked to your enquiry?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Caveat Emptor!

The grip might well be Hurricane (AH2040 type) but probably from a scrap yard, I would venture to suggest. As to the brake lever, certainly NOT Hurricane or a standard AH2040 fit.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:52

Andy

I think you are right... the brake seems to be on the wrong side and back to front ??

Greg
Old 19th August 2010, 13:24

Tapper is on a distinguished road

Hi Greg,

I have visited this crash site several times and can confirm that Andy is correct the Hurricane hit the ground at a shallow angle breaking up as it slid across a field and inpacted in bits against a steep bank. I have found many fragmennts during my visits all dug up by the local rabbits.

The reports I have read all say it was fragmented on the surface with most of it, including the engine being recovered. Its certainly not a wreck to "dig" and the only significant find i have been told about was a cockpit instrument in some spoil back in the 1970's...right time right place!

Sadly ths Spade Grip does not ring true with the crash site, leaving aside the errors spotted by Andy.

My gut feeling is its a fake with the original probably being collected in 1940.

Also of interest is the claim it was a 109, 110's were also in the area at the time and I did interview Gordan Batt who was alongside SGT Bann returning to base, he said he never saw the fighter just the smoke trails from the cannon rounds as Sgt Bann gave a warning, sadly his last words. Gordon Batt then understandably, broke for tree level to evade any attacker and never saw his friend again.

I have tried to match a Luftwaffe claim but no success as yet.

If you want fragments of his Hurricane just get over to the Island and see what the bunnies have dug for you.

Cheers
Jon
Old 19th August 2010, 14:49
Alter Hase

I hope the bunnies have the appropriate licence from the MOD!
Old 19th August 2010, 18:14

Jon

Thats really valuable information as I was just about to purchase the said Spade Grip from an American who says the following;

"I purchased this about 10-15 years ago, along with a lot of other relics from various crash sites from a fellow in England who was one of a recovery team who traced down crash sights and recover the relics. Sometimes remains of crew, which they arranged the interment of. Some relics were preserved for museum desplay, but many were not and became property of the recovery teams. Of curse, they often had to do lots of research to locate the wreck site, and do the history. Usually the comformation came from Mfg. tags on the various parts of the wreck, as well as squadron, and war records. That is where this came from. Ive no reason to question the authenticity of the item, as back when I origionally purchased it, there was little interest in WW2 dug relics. I hope this is of some help,,,Thanks Don"
Old 20th August 2010, 22:07
Alter Hase

From someone who saw this same item at a UK show a few years ago, the brake lever is Gloster Meteor and is stuck on with glue. The grip itself is in fact a magnesium alloy type which makes it much later than 1940 anyway. The AH2040 version of the period was a high quality cast aluminium alloy.

Sadly, more and more of this faked up rubbish with elaborate histories (including documents, photos and relics) are coming onto the market as both demand and prices increase and sources for original material diminish.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:13

Redwulf__1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapper View Post
Hi Greg,

I have tried to match a Luftwaffe claim but no success as yet.

Cheers
Jon

Eric S Bann was prob. shot down by Hauptmann Helmut Wick I./JG2

In his official records ge claimed his 32 nd victory at 28.09.1940 as Hurricane

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Wick
and http://www.luftwaffe.cz/wick.html

Hope it helps
Old 8th November 2010, 11:43

Tapper is on a distinguished road

Hi Redwulf,

Yes this is very interesting, my own research had pointed at Wick as a possible, does anyone know where 1/JG2 were in action at this time in relation to the Isle of Wight..East or West North or South?

Thanks

Jon

Tags
eric bann, me 109, v6776