Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st May 2005, 19:24

dragonfly is on a distinguished road
luftwaffe alpine camo?

Greetings,

I am new to this forum, so first let me say greetings and thanks for letting me in.

I'm currently building a JU-52, and would like to use the alpine/winter/mountain, camo scheme. Specificly, the movie "Where Eagles Dare" pattern . Does anyone have any info, ref, etc. that can help. So far I've got RLM 21 with a RLM 70 squiggle pattern. What I'm not sure of, is the undersides. Was it white as well, or RLM 65 hellblau? Was any gelb used on the underside wing tips or anyplace on the aircraft?

Photos would really be great, but any info would be greatly appreciated. I've tried some other forums, and got a little help. I guess I just want to try to get all the help I can. Thanks for your consideration.

Dragonfly
Old 31st May 2005, 22:56
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: luftwaffe alpine camo?

Reverse your reasoning.

What is winter camouflage?

It is mainly white distemper, in order to temporary adjust a standard camouflage a/c to the winter season.

Hence look for a standard pattern 70/71/65 Tante Ju, adapt it with a top layer of white "distemper".

As for tactical colors, that will depend but if it is "Where Eagles Dare" stuff, you'd probably not have any distinctive theatre markings

There are some nice photos of winter camo Ju 52s taken around the Battle of the Bulge, but I can't remember the source (which shows one ditched Ju 52 with and without surrounding snowscape).

But to repeat think 70/71/65 covered with white distemper, not white covered with some color green (or in your case RLM 21 + 70).

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 1st June 2005, 04:16

Thank's Ruy, Yes that makes sense. Paint the aircraft 70/71/65, then add the white.
Old 1st June 2005, 12:42

Primoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly
I'm currently building a JU-52
Which model kit is it? Which scale? 1/72 or 1/48?
Old 1st June 2005, 14:39

Modeldad will become famous soon enough

Here are some examples of white distemper.

Ed West gets a thanks also for some.

Click on image for larger size. (I hope)

Old 1st June 2005, 16:53

Thanks for the pics Modeldad, They're very interesting,however what I'm looking for is the same camo pattern used in the movie, "Where Eagles Dare". The JU-52 in the movie is all white with a very random, thin, shaky stripe all over. Perhaps this is just a movie prop, not sure.

Primoz,

The model I'm building is the 1/48 Pro-modeler. Excellent kit... very nice

Dragonfly
Old 1st June 2005, 18:31

Sergio Luis dos Santos

dragonfly,

You´re talking about a painting done for a movie and real examples of Luftwaffe camoflage are being shown. Since you want to reproduce a "movie machine" and can find good color shots (or watch the movie via DVD or VHS) to verify the green shade (one or two colors) I see nothing wrong painting it white and latter the green scrible.

If the finished model looks like the one in the movie then you got it right. Who knows they did it exactly as you think?
Old 2nd June 2005, 04:33

Modeldad will become famous soon enough

Dragonfly;
Is this what you are looking for? Just a variation on white over 70/71 base.

http://www.whereeaglesdare.com/defau...=4&page=8&id=3
Old 2nd June 2005, 20:08

Thumbs up Re: luftwaffe alpine camo?

Yes....That's it exactly! They say you learn something everyday, and truer words were never spoken. At the risk of exposing my ignorance, after viewing the movie, I asssumed these markings were an actual Luftwaffe camo pattern. Now it seems that the aircraft I want to model, was no more than a movie prop. Anyway, I would have a piece of Hollywood memoribilia. Not such a bad thing. It was, afterall a great movie. Many thanks to all that replied to my question.

regards,
Dragonfly
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:43

Primoz

Dragonfly,

if I'm not mistaken, the Ju 52 seen in that movie was a Swiss machine. If you'd like to build this a/c (and no other) you should get the movie on DVD and watch the a/c very carefully (to see if it's the right sub-version). You should consider the following points:
The Pro-Modeler kit represents the sub-version depicted in the third pic posted by Modeldad; it has:
- no door on the right side aft of the cockpit;
- those smaller cargo doors/hatches;
- no cockpit MG turret;
- the dorsal MG position.

If the (Swiss) Ju 52 seen in the movie has no dorsal gun position then the best kit to use is the 1:72 Italeri Ju 52 (airliner version).

There was a very interesting Ju 52 with white segments (bands) over the original RLM 70/71 camouflage (I believe it was coded RI+OA). Unfortunately, the Third Group decal sheet is OOP. Buth there are a couple of color photos of this aircraft in on of the last numbers of Luftwaffe im Focus.