Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th October 2005, 02:02

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Fw 58 book - Badges identification/correction

Hello all,
I´m trying to identify some Weihes to the book but I have been unsucesfull to discover from wich unit the badge belonged. It proved dificulty not only due the image quality but my library is limited. Surely several books are released in Germany by publihsers or privately so must ask a help from TOCH members to identify or correct me.
01 - This badge is in a Weihe photographed in France, 1940. No more details are know. Maybe an earlier badge from KG 255 / KG 51 or a personal emblem?
02 - Last letters from Stkz is +HP FFS A/B 52.
03 - The photo identifies this Weihe as probably belonging to II./JG77. I could not find any matching badge in the books I have. No Stkz visible
04 - This one is similar to the 11.(H)Pz/Aufkl.Gr 11 but can´t confirm the info. No Stkz visible.
05 - Crossing its Stkz BO+LZ on various listings I found two entries to this Weihe: FFS A/B 121 and FFS A/B 15 but A/B 15 must be an error since this School is not mentioned in any book I have!. I could not find a matching badge.
06 - This one is very hard to identify since the photo is very poor. Stkz is DK+MJ plus a large white 5 on nose, reported taken on 1942. At first there is a guess it could belongs to a NJG Schule but on book "Luftwaffe Camouflage 1935-1945" page 84 there is a similarly marked machine ( Stkz not visible, large white 1 plus badge on nose). There the author states the plane is from a school based on Brandenburg-Briest. That´s Fluglehrschule der Luftwaffe. I do not have any information on this School and its purpose. DK+MJ is not listed on several listings I obtained from various researchers.
07- Another one hard to identify. It looks the Weihe has two badges. Largest one looks a card with a flying bird. The smallest remembers two crossed bayonets or batons with a Luftwaffe eagle (maybe not) on top.
08 - Kullerkopf badge from 1./JG5 1943. Stkz KB+HP W.Nr. 58023. Shoot down on 5 July 1943 by Mosquito.
09 - A very elaborated badge or personal marking! Weihe identified as belonging to JG5 in Finland. Badge shows what looks to me a man or woman standing over a sunken ship with a (white) flag in a mast. S.O.S. and Seenotdienst inscriptions.
10 - Looks to me Sch/FAR 62 badge.
11 - Stkz. PF+OA, possibly FFS A/B 4.
12 - Looks a simplified 2.(H)/Aufkl.Gr. 31 badge.

I thank you very much for any help. In a few days I´ll post a "report" about the research for the book.
Thanks in advance, hugs,

Last edited by Sergio Luis dos Santos; 2nd August 2006 at 15:23.
Old 17th October 2005, 02:05

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Re: Fw 58 book - Badges identification/correction

Second row!

Old 17th October 2005, 02:39

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Last row of badges:

Old 17th October 2005, 12:07
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi.

I have a very clear photo of the II./JG 77 Weihe, and it has the usual Eagle Head emblem of this unit, as seen on their Bf 109's during the invasion in Norway.

As this badge was carried on II./JG 77 aircraft from before the invasion of Norway and Denmark on April 9th 1940 and well into Barbarossa, I do not think a Weihe of this unit would carry another emblem.

If the photo was supposed to be taken before Weserübung, my guess would be that the Seagull emblem would have been seen.

Regards,
Andreas
Old 17th October 2005, 12:19

Peter Spoden

Hello Sergio, thank you very much for taking care so much of our good old "Weihe" FW58. For me and thousands other young flyers In Germany the "Weihe" was the first 2-eng-plane we flew after the singles at "A/B Schule. As you know the FW 58, Ju 52, Ju 86 and FW 200 have been built for civilian purpose and got weapons later on in the war. The FW 58 was easy to fly like a glider, we called the ship the "plastic-bomber". In the East we nightfighters used the FW 58 against the slow flying russian bombers. Only trouble: the plastic burnt very easy! Good luck for your book! Regards to Rio Peter Spoden
Old 17th October 2005, 12:59
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, Sergio

Is it the third emblem that is connected to II./JG 77? The one which resembles teh emblem used by KG 40 later?

My guess is that Your photo was taken at Værnes in Norway or another airfield connected to both KG 40 and II./JG 77 and misinterpreted.

You can send me a mail or a private message with the photo attached, and I can take a look.

PS! Will send You the JG 77 Weihe.....

Regards,
Andreas
Old 17th October 2005, 13:41

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Smile Re: Fw 58 book - Badges identification/correction

Hello Peter, thanks for your comments. I´m sure Fw 58 book will be a fine work. I have collected last days a great amount of unpublished photos, Stkz and W.Nr. listings as well as loss reports. Crossing all photos I´m being able to identify several planes. Information coming from Klaus Scheer and other pilots like Martin Drewes and yourself are fine too.

Yes Andreas, it´s the third photo. I have got several photos from II./Jg77 Weihes in various fronts and varied camo schemes. I also though it could be a Kg 40 machine but I´m still not convinced about the "world in a ring" badge. I´ll try find any info on the listings above. The photo do not shows the complete machine unfortunately. Only front part, nose and right engine.
Old 17th October 2005, 22:47
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Spoden
In the East we nightfighters used the FW 58 against the slow flying russian bombers. Only trouble: the plastic burnt very easy!
Hallo Herr Spoden!

Thank you for sharing with us your memories related to the Fw 58 'Weihe'.

What weapons did you use to hunt for those slow-flying Sobiet bombers? Were any air 'kills' achieved?

Wasn't the Weihe's nickname rather 'Leukoplast ('Band-aid') Bomber'?
Old 18th October 2005, 13:07

Andyf
hints

Hi Sergio!
Check http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/_data/divemblems/emblemsmain.htm and book:

Cheers
Andrzej
Old 18th October 2005, 13:57

Marc BENOIT

Hello Sergio !

Good idea to write a book on a "forgotten" plane ! I hope you will be successful!
A little help ( I hope ) :
01 : a similar photo said to be taken on a He 111 was published years ago in Flugzeug I think but unfortunately no identification followes ....

03 : must check out my archive, but I don't think it's the emblem of KG 40

04 : given as Stab/NAG 1 in Jet & Prop 2/05 but probably all NAG 1 (?)

05 : special marking on the Seenotweihe of JG 5

10 : FFS A/B 62 : arms of the city of Quedlinburg

11 : same opinion as yours : could well be FFS A/B 4

12 : as 11 : probably a simplified version - black and white - of 2(H)/ 31's emblem

Do you have an idea of the release date of your book ?

Greetings from cold but sunny France Marc