Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th September 2012, 21:49

KrisJG3 is on a distinguished road
Red face Bf109 G-10 late war - but very interesting camo !

Here is one of the Polish Bf109G10 from 318 Polish Fighter Division from Treviso March 1946

http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samolo...hmitt-Me-109G2

More photos and very interesting article in Polish:
http://www.polishairforce.pl/messerschmitt.html

Source:
Zmyślony W. ”Polski Messerschmitt Bf 109”. ”Polskie Siły Powietrzne w II wojnie światowej”.

-------------------------------------

By the way:

Dears Collegues,

I still looking for camuflage, painting and old photos with Bf109 G10 made by Erla (Werk Nr's: 490130-399) which could belong to JG3 and other units.
Maybe somebody have something new from ebay, private collection, ... etc.

Best regards,

Kris

Last edited by KrisJG3; 20th September 2012 at 22:39.
Old 20th September 2012, 22:40
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough
Re: Bf109 G-10 late war - but very interesting camo !

Kris,

this is Bf 109 G-14/AS W.Nr. 782 104 (?) "Crna 4", flown by deserting pilot Vladimir Sandtner, 15 (Croat)./JG 52, Falconara, 16 April 1945. The W.Nr. is not fully known: it was reported in the British Report as W.Nr. 2104.

Cheers
Marc
Old 20th September 2012, 22:44

YES

Lt. Vladimir Sandtner (on Bf 109G-10, "black 4") and
Lt. Josip Cekovic (on Bf 109G-14, "black 10")

both pilots deserted the same day. Numebers I don't know.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:30

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJG3 View Post
Lt. Vladimir Sandtner (on Bf 109G-10, "black 4") and
Not a G-10 but an G-14/AS like Marc wrote ...

Regards
Rasmussen
Old 21st September 2012, 06:34

So probably I must inform author of text about small update of article

Thanks for info.

What is the source of this information with another type ?
Old 21st September 2012, 08:18

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJG3 View Post
What is the source of this information with another type ?
Rasmussen is an authority in this field, so his word would and should suffice...

Anyway, not to remember again our last exchange, but remember when I wrote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltro View Post
(...in) the late '80s, when we all were convinced that the presence of DB 605AS would have been the only explaination to the absence of the "chin-bulges" which - we all assumed then - were the trade mark of the DB 605D... (until we years later learned by hard evidence - photographic too - that it was just a cowl and was used on almost all the MTT G-14/ASs simply because it was available) (..).
That was one of the things "discovered" in the past years, when it was found that, apart from a small circular hatch on the starboard side of the cowl being in a lower rather than upper position, most of the G-14/AS produced (at least all of those producec by MTT, apparently) had a look that was almost identical to that of a "classic" G-10, or at least how it had been represented in the past twenty years.

It's a part of the same process which identified the existence of the Erla G-10s and whose published sources are roughly the same evidenced earlier. Even here, though, most of the process of research and study has been made and perfected on the web, rather than on printed paper, the reasons for that have been already dealt with...

Sorry man, it is a fruit of the same tree...

P.S. I am also adding a quote of one posts of mine on the same subject (literally) of three years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltro View Post
(...) the round hatch of the cold weather starting device in the lower position (on the G-10 it was at the same level of the starting crank hole) and the six-lines stencil (faint but clearly visible on the lower side of the upper cowl) which BTW it is present also on the Croat G-14/AS "black 4" defectioned to Italy...

http://win.150gct.it/public/veltro/Croat109G14AS.jpg

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 21st September 2012, 09:15

RolandF is on a distinguished road

A different source addresses this Bf109 as G-10 WNr 152104 from 2.(kroat)/JGr. So the Bf109G-10 variant can be excluded with certainty.
Was the croatian Jagdgruppe still included in JG52 at that time and not in a somewhat autonomous status?
Btw, Cekovic (Black 10) deserted to Jesi airfield occupied by the RAF. Falconara was an US a/F afaik.
Does somebody know the circumstances of this change? I remember some alcoholic beverages being part of the "deal"...

Regards

Roland

Last edited by RolandF; 21st September 2012 at 13:39. Reason: abbreviations
Old 21st September 2012, 09:50

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

More about that case in: "Croatian Aces" from Osprey Publ.
h.
Old 21st September 2012, 10:02

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point

An alcoholic transaction indeed...!

This is how the Polish veteran Jan Preihs remembers that episode in his memories...

"...Last base of No.318 Squadron was Tisano near Udine. It was just after May 6, 1945. One day "Wolodzia" Berezecki - doing CO's duty – asked me to fly with him to Jesi for a meeting of commanders. We flew a Fairchild. We landed near a damaged hanger and "Wolodzia" went to the meeting. We expected a short meeting so I stayed on the airfield to supervise refuleling of our plane. It was quickly refueled by two American soldiers.
I was sitting on a back sit of our Fairchild as they asked me:
- Hey, Captain. You wouldn't have by any chance a bottle of Whisky by you, would you?
- No - I said.
- We have a business. Are you interested in two German planes?
- What are they doing here?
One of the Yankees led me to the damaged hanger. I saw two planes next to a wall. They were covered by dust. I saw a German marking on one of them.
- This is a Me 109 - I said surprised.
- Yes sir, that's what it is.
I came near. It was a brand new plane. With fresh paint. The second was a Bucker. This one wasn't so new.
The Yankee explained that the planes came to Yesi on a lorry just one day earlier.
Suddenly arrived a car. Its driver returned for S/L Berezecki's portfolio.
He left it in the Fairchild. I decided to provide it personally.
The meeting was in a hotel. I explained "Wolodzia" my plan and he accepted it. We went to radio room. "Wolodzia" called to our base, to "Felek" Gadomski.
- Please, find a pilot who want to fly a Me 109 to Tisano - said Berezecki.
There was an another problem - the Whisky.
Fortunately, "Wolodzia" met an American-Polish in a bar. He was a barman and an American soldier from Chicago. He saw a "Poland" on Berezecki uniform's shoulder and was so happy to meet a Pole so he gave "Wolodzia" two bottles of bourbon.
I was in Tisano a half hour later. "Felek" found a volunteer - Lt.Stramik. He was one of the youngest squadron's pilots.
We returned to Yesi. I "paid" for the planes.
Stramik had nothing but enthusiasm to fly the Messerchmitt. Fortunately, we found a German manual in the cockpit. I regretted I didn't learn the language in a school. "Wolodzia" returned two hours later. He was a former student of Paris Sorbona and spoke French, but he didn't speak German.
Finaly we read a little.
We refuelled the three planes and started to prepare to take off. Stramik sat into the cockpit and tried to start engine. It started with no problem. Except black smokes from the engine. We refuelled the Me 109 using 100 octan fuel, but it was earlier used with syntetic gas. Therefore the clouds of black smoke.
Fortunately, the Bucker was propelled by normal gas. So I had no problem with it. "Wolodzia" flew our Fairchild.
The Messerschmitt landed safely in our base.
Unfortunately, it vanished next day. Bucker was used a bit longer by our pilots."

P.S. The plane ended as a possession of Wing Commander James E. Storrar (239 Wing RAF from January 1946 to April 1947) who "owned" also a defected Bulgarian Yak-9M, in RAF markings and personal codes too...

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 21st September 2012, 10:41
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

Now that's history, Ferdinando!

Thanks for this mind boggling acquisition process... would love to do it nowadays;-))

Marc

Last edited by Marc-André Haldimann; 21st September 2012 at 19:18.