Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th December 2007, 19:36

Jon
Fairey Battle belly gun ?

Just found this request in the January 2008 Flypast Magazine.

The Medway Aircraft Preservation society are restoring a Battle L5343 to 98 Squadron standard based in Iceland 1940.
They have a number of leads saying that some Battles had a belly gun aimed by the bomb aimer via a system of mirrors?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this fitting? was it official?
Old 10th December 2007, 20:06
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: Fairey Battle belly gun ?

I can add, for what its worth, that at two Fairey Battle crash sites in France I have found spare "K" gun barrels which were evidently carried on board. Just a thought, but I am wondering if this has given rise to the "extra gun" theory? I do know that when these items were found we scratched heads initially and theorised that there was an extra gun until we realised they were simply spare barrels.
Old 10th December 2007, 20:25

Jon

Hi Andy,

Thats interesting, to be honest i thought a belly gun on a low flying aircraft would have been out of the question, unless it was intended to rake groud defences on the way out after an attack has been done.
Even then a Vickers K is hardly the best option but better than nothing i suppose.

Was it just a spare barrel, or did it have other gun bits attached, breach etc..?
Also what was the chances of a standard gunner carrying a spare barrel for his gun?
Old 11th December 2007, 01:00
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

I think a spare barrel was a norm for the "K" gun - but I stand to be corrected by those who know more about such things. I would also have thought that an "extra gun" (if it were fitted) on the Battle would have been defensive rather than offensive.
Old 11th December 2007, 13:23

Amrit1 is on a distinguished road

It does appear to be the case that some were fitted as an ad hoc arrangement by crews during the Battle of France:

http://www.century-of-flight.net/Avi...y%20Battle.htm

Quote:
Defensive Armament:
Quote:
One forward firing 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Browning machine-gun in in the starboard wing with a 400 round magazine and combat ciné camera and one rearward firing 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Vickers 'K' machine-gun in the rear cockpit with 485 rounds. Early aircraft had a 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Lewis machine-gun until replaced by the Vickers 'K' machine-gun. During the Battle for France, crews often hastily added a ventral gun below the fuselage just aft of the wing. This gun was aimed by the third crew member using a mirror sight.
Though I've never seen any pictures or details of the setup.

A
Old 11th December 2007, 20:45

hrossm is on a distinguished road

The Air-Britain book 'The Battle File' gives details of several 'third gun' installations in the underside of the Battle but no photographs unfortunately.