Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th August 2017, 10:53

Tomislav Haramincic is on a distinguished road
Re: KG-13A ID?

Interesting discussion on the KG 13's. I have acquired this KG 13B years ago in Germany and in my opinion, it is a genuine WWII item. Still, I have some small issues that bother me. One, for example, is the missing "V" marking of the electrical wiring.
I would like to hear your thoughts about this KG 13.
Thanks!
Old 19th August 2017, 10:54

Tomislav Haramincic is on a distinguished road

...a few more photos
Old 19th August 2017, 13:36
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gaemperle View Post
Snautzer, each aircraft had its own electrical wiring diagram with codes for the different electrical equipment. There was no rule amongst aircraft industry that a code would only be issued for one particular aircraft type, but it was rather by chance that codes like V23 were not used by other aircraft types. This now helps identify the aircraft type these sticks belonged to.

The Fw 190 typically had V60 (I say typically, because there were some late war variants with autopilot that had a different code for the control stick, 1V43). It typically had a KG 13B, but exceptions are known (KG 13A, and in late production KG 13C)

The Bf 109 G typically had V23 (see http://germancontrolsticks.blogspot....Bf%20109%20G-6). It typically had a KG 13A, but exceptions are known.

I haven't come across one with V25, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. The color (red), placement (large V-number around the base) and type (B1-Kn.) of marking on your stick is typical for a Bf 109 stick and I'd bet it came from a 109 if it is an original marking.

B1-Kn. stood for B1-Knopf, which was the button at the top. The trigger was called A-Knopf and the button on the top left B2-Knopf.

Cheers,
Roger
Hello Roger thank you for the response.
Quote:
Snautzer, each aircraft had its own electrical wiring diagram with codes for the different electrical equipment.
True I have quite a few bordnetz manuals.

Quote:
There was no rule amongst aircraft industry that a code would only be issued for one particular aircraft type
The code were allocated by design of the bordnetz by nomenclatuur weren't they? All manufacturers had to comply to this method of making a diagram of the bordnetz. I.G. V23 marking follows the list and is not connected to the part or make of plane.
Old 19th August 2017, 15:37
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav Haramincic View Post
Interesting discussion on the KG 13's. I have acquired this KG 13B years ago in Germany and in my opinion, it is a genuine WWII item. Still, I have some small issues that bother me. One, for example, is the missing "V" marking of the electrical wiring.
I would like to hear your thoughts about this KG 13.
Thanks!
For sure yours has been re-painted...and the data plate has been added afterwards (plate is repro).

You can tell it was added, as the wear/paint loss goes under the plate.

That is a typical feature of a grip that was messed with post-war.

Regarding grips:

Grip types were transferred - for example, some of the Me109 electrical schematics show a KG13B...when it was the KG13A that was the most used (heavily, as in the 99% of the time range).

Also, rather than the standard KG13B used on the Fw190, I have seen a KG13A installed.

The internal wiring set-up differed between the KG13A and KG13B...so in the situations were the grip types were changed...the wiring set-up also had to be changed.

Regarding the electrical codes:

Having owned numerous electrical schematics from every major aircraft used, for sure V25 is not found on any of them. Having been involved in numerous restorations, as well as over 60 grips, I can tell you 100% that the main codes were never, ever transferred between aircraft.

For example, you will never, EVER find a Fw190 "V60" code on an Me109 grip...nor will you ever find an Me109K "1V104" on a grip from a Ar96.

The schematics differed for a reason - it was to ID the specific item TO the specific electrical system OF the specific aircraft.

The only time the electrical codes crossed- over, was when they were for "common items".

For example, the FuG16 radio equipment all had the same standard set-up and wiring connections. Though the individual wiring codes that ran between each unit of the system may differ, the MAIN code, identifying, the MAIN unit remained the same.

For example:

"F155" for the AFN 2
"F104" for FuG16 umformer
"F105" for the umformer ground plate

You will find these codes as being IDENTICAL in almost all aircraft that used them...because as I already mentioned, they were a common item.

The items that were specific to the aircraft (such as grips), had unique codes, that were never transferable.
Old 19th August 2017, 17:23
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

position of V25 in 8-109.000-352 Bordnetz Anlage, on the right you will find the grip KG13A with V23

Last edited by Snautzer; 4th December 2017 at 21:54.