Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th December 2017, 17:26
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
What kind of airplane (LW twin)

Good night to all.

I have tried to find on some old books of mine, and on the net, but got no joy in identifying the cockpit/stick and machine.

For me, it looks like an early Do 17 used for twin engined training later, during the war.

The roof, the armored shield behind the pilot; however this diffeerent stick is unfamiliar to me. I have seen rounded sticks (Ju 34, Ju 52), some in the shape of "U" (He 111), etc....even the Do 217 do have an amazing stick. but this shape I have never seen before.

Can some of you recognize the stick or the machine it belongs to?

Thanks
Adriano B.
Old 5th December 2017, 17:29
Alter Hase

Re: What kind of airplane (LW twin)

Forgot to attach the picture

Last edited by Adriano Baumgartner; 20th June 2018 at 21:07.
Old 5th December 2017, 21:26
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

BV138 i think http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LC...ckpit-114f.jpg
Old 11th December 2017, 16:23

Norbert Schuchbauer

This is a Go 242 or Go 244.

Norbert
Old 12th December 2017, 19:46
Alter Hase

Dear NORBERT,

You are really an "ACE"...indeed this matches the found Picture of a Go 242 cockpit and stick, without the instrument attached.

So, I presume, since the pilot on the first Picture I posted is wearing a parachute, that the first Picture should be the engined version of Go 244 (and we do have the armoured shield behind him).

Do not know the politics for wearing parachute amongst the Glider pilots. Guess the pilots did not wear them on gliders, but rather on motor-gliders or engined machines, like the Go 244 and Me 323.

The only Picture I found of the Go 242 cockpit do shows a pilot not wearing the parachute. There is NO armored shield or protection behind him,but the stick is 100% a match, if we do not consider the instrument over it on the first Picture (the shape, grips, etc.). So...CONGRATULATIONS...you are indeed an ACE and helped me identifying this puzzle...

Picture was taken from here: http://lwcollectibles.blogspot.com.b...-dec-2007.html

Am really grateful

Adriano B.

Last edited by Adriano Baumgartner; 20th June 2018 at 21:07.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:54
Alter Hase

Borduhr not on correct position for Go242 (nr 59)

Last edited by Snautzer; 13th January 2018 at 17:06.
Old 13th December 2017, 10:41
Alter Hase

SNAUTZER,

Thank you very much for the Go 242 manual and the correct place for the Borduhr. However, if you look at the Go 242 Picture on my last post, you will see that the "base" for the stick and indeed the stick format are the same as the first (so far unknown to me) Picture I posted.

The only difference is indeed the instrument that you identified as a Borduhr (Cronometer, Horloge, etc) attached above.

As I had written: "indeed this matches the found Picture of a Go 242 cockpit and stick, without the instrument attached."

I understand that "PERHAPS", a pilot could ask his mechanic or obtain some kind of authorization within the Staffel or Gruppe, to change one or two instruments?

May I ask you IF on the document (Flight Manual) you do have about the Go 242, there is some information about this DORSAL Armored shield behind the pilot? Was it standard to both models, Go 242 and Go 244, or only installed on the Go 244 (engined version)? This would help understand, IF some kind of personnal modifications could be done "on the field" to the standard machine (I mean the adding of armor and/or instruments) for a specific operation (maybe?).

I do thank you the kind help with the copy of an original LW document and your time.

Adriano B.
Old 13th December 2017, 13:22
Alter Hase

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t5606...i-gotha-go-244