Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st April 2008, 20:25
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Aircraft to ID

I saw on eBay a photo of an RAF(?) biplane, which reportedly crashed at Brest, in France, I could not identify:

http://www.foto4045.nl/vliewa_5.jpg

Any clues of the type?
Old 21st April 2008, 20:36
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: Aircraft to ID

Albacore?
Old 21st April 2008, 23:43

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

Definitely an Albacore. Is there a date on the original eBay link?
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:22

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo all,

Two photos of this aircraft appeared in the '4-14' posting of E-Bay photo links by Ed West (thanks Ed). I'm not good at providing links but the numbers are;

Incredibly one of them - no markings visible - sold for Euro 162.01 !!! The other clearly shows the letter 'A' behind the fuselage roundel. Of interest too is that the light underside colour has been hastily overpainted black. As no radar aerials are visible this may rule out the 1943-1944 period when Albacores were used over the Channel by the FAA and later 415 Sqn. RCAF and 119 Sqn. RAF.

It must have been a very frightening experience for the family in that farmhouse. Hope the crew and aircraft can be identified.

Martin Gleeson.
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:39
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Perhaps it has something to do with an entry I found on naval-history.net under Thursday 10 October 1940 that a Albacore of 829 Squadron was shot down on a a night raid on Brest.

Aircraft was of No 829 Squadron. Pilot Lt Cdr O.S. Stevinson (Squadron CO), Observer Lt. Cdr. N.R. Quill and Petty Officer A. Brimms became all POW.

FAA-knowledgeable people may have more about this?

Regards,

Leendert
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:53

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo all,

I think Leendert may have it. According to FLEET AIR ARM AIRCRAFT 1939 TO 1945 by Ray Sturtivant with Mike Burrow this crew were in Albacore L7129. The entry concerning its fate reads;

"FTR St. Eval from night attack on 7 destroyers lying in Brest harbour, hit by light flak, Cat W 9/10.10.40 (L/C OS Stevinson, Lt. N Quill & PO A Brimms all POW)"

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:32
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

If it's the Albacore on the picture indeed, then it came down at/near the little town of Porspoder, northwest of Brest and on the coast.
Was hit by light flak.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 19th January 2009, 12:53

Gildas is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

This Albacore did crash at Porspoder, some 25 km north west of Brest. I'm living quite close to that place, and took many accounts about it. According to those witnesses, and among them those people living at the nearest farms, at least one crew member was Canadian. Would somebody know which one ?
And could their first names be known ?
Leendert, where did you learn about the place ? My research had been in the opposite way, knowing the crash site, and trying to find the aircraft type, date, and crew, and before a first picture appeared by error on a book (Avel Gornog) on the Crozon peninsula. It's the fleet Air Arm web site that had a complete crew captured at a period that could match.
Thanks also Martin for your input, I ignored the serial number until today.
I've been forwarded the pictures, but wouldn't anybody have taken the contact of the seller and buyer of the pictures ?

Thanks in advance
Gildas