Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th June 2008, 20:03
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Flight of Sir Maitland Wilson and General Jacob Denvers over Mount Cassino - February 1944

Good night to all!
As previously posted on the LW Threads, I read recently the book of Hptm Rudolf Bohmler ( former Fallschirmjager Kommander ) intitled Mount Cassino. On his book, he mentions a reconaissance ( survey ) flight made by Sir Henry Maitland Wilson and General Jacob Denvers over the Mount Cassino on February 1944. It is said they flew together and aboard a L-3 Piper Cub.
I would like to know:
a) the date of the flight
b) If they really flew together, who was actually flying the machine
c) This light aircraft belonged to which unit? ( Is it possible to know the serial number or codes? Where? Any registration of this flight? )

This personal observation of the sacred area of the Churchiard, in which it was stated that one of those top brass actually saw some German infantrymen and cables of Radio Communication led to the Mount Cassino being bombed by both Air Forces lately.

I am very interested on the details of this particular flight. I would appreciate any information on this story or any information that can lead me to further readings.

Thank you in advance
Yours
Adriano Baumgartner
Old 25th June 2008, 12:46
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Flight of Sir Maitland Wilson and General Jacob Denvers over Mount Cassino - February 1944

Adriano,

Most US sources have it that Lt Gen Jacob Devers and Lt Gen Ira Eaker made the observation flight(s) and not the British general.
According attached story, most likely date is around 14 Feb 1944.

See http://www.americanheritage.com/arti...18_print.shtml

Regards,

Leendert
Old 27th June 2008, 21:28
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Flight of Sir Maitland Wilson and General Jacob Denvers over Mount Cassino - February 1944

Thanks Leendert for your kind answer and the link below. I will have a careful look at it..
Yours
Adriano Baumgartner