Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th December 2019, 13:12

Mikkel Plannthin
Dulag Luft 12 same facility as Stalag Luft IV

I am researching a Danish-American airman who was shot down on 2 Nov. 1944. He was taken as PoW and the World War II Prisoners of War, 1941-1946 records show his camp as "Dulag Luft Grosstychow Dulag 12".

I have been able to find few references to Dulag Luft / Dulag 12 in Gross Tychow, but a vast amount of references to Stalag Luft IV, Gross Tychow.

Is this the same facility?

Normally I would think of Dulag Luft as the transit camp near Frankfurt.

Mikkel
Old 28th December 2019, 18:15
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Dulag Luft 12 same facility as Stalag Luft IV

There are 647 men in the U.S. POW files that have been coded as "camp" 035 which shows up as:

Dulag Luft
Grosstychow
Dulag 12

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display...0&cl_11673=035

I think the army had problems trying to code the series of camps a POW might have been moved to. They used a single 3 digit number but had to come up with a different number for each of the possible combinations of camps a man could have moved through. I think code 035 was suppose to show the 3 camps some men went through, first Dulag Luft, then Stalag Luft IV (at Gross Tychow) and then a 3rd camp some men went to after Stalag Luft IV was evacuated in February, 1945. I don't think there was a "Dulag 12", but maybe they went to one of the camps near Fallingbostal (Stalag XIB or Stalag XID)

I believe it possible that "Dulag 12" only shows up as the "third" camp for these 647 men, no other POWs will have "Dulag12" listed as one of their camps.

The old Stalag Luft 4 site no longer seems to be maintained: http://www.stalagluft4.org/#
but it looks like some of the places the men were evacuated to included Barth, Nuremberg, Fallingbostel and Alton Grabow.

Last edited by RSwank; 29th December 2019 at 00:57.
Old 28th December 2019, 22:17
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

An overview of the Camps:

https://www.b24.net/powCamps.htm

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...of-war-1939-45
Old 17th January 2020, 21:21

Mikkel Plannthin

Thank you both. Greatly appreciated.

Mikkel