Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 21st March 2016, 22:45

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
US claims during the Vietnam war

Is there a site that has a listing of the US victory claims during the Vietnam war and possibly VPAF losses? I saw one some years ago but can't get to it again. I am going to try and match up US claims with VPAF losses from the assorted Osprey books.
Old 21st March 2016, 23:29
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: US claims during the Vietnam war

Do you have this?

http://www.amazon.com/MiG-Aces-Vietn...X8EJAG4PA3A976

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:03
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

In addition, another book by Istvan Toperczer, published about the same time, in France, but in English.

http://artipresse.com/?p=1340&lang=fr

Email ArtiPresse for the price including postage. I paid for my copy with PayPal.

Both books have lists of claims and losses. I have not attempted to match the two lists, but I think there are differences. The Schiffer book concentrates on the NV aces, and their victories and losses. The ArtiPress book is an overview of the entire NV air war. I would recommend both books, which were published last year.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 22nd March 2016, 04:54

Tom Semenza

Another book is MiG Killers: A Chronology of U.S. Air Victories in Vietnam 1965-1973 by Donald J. McCarthy, Jr. (Specialty Press, 2009) detailing each claim from the US side with lots of photos.

MiGs Over North Vietnam: The Vietnamese People's Air Force in Combat, 1965-1975 by Roger Boniface (Hikoki, 2008) lists 262 VPAF pilots and crew members KiA but does not fully list all combat losses. From 1965 to 1973 the book claims that 146 MiGs were lost through all causes compared with US claims for 191 shot down.
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:05

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I had his osprey book on Mig 17 and 19 units. I will be reading the others. There is some confusion as to claims losses and causes.
Old 4th December 2016, 07:31
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

You can try this site as well: http://users.accesscomm.ca/magnusfamily/airaces1.htm