Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 17th February 2016, 17:52
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan
US Marines Parachute incidents China 1927 to 1928

During 1927 to 1928 US Marine aviation elements were deployed to China. They were based at Camp MacMurray

For background see

http://chinamarine.org/Tientsin/ButlersExpedition.aspx

I am aware of only 2 parachute incidents during this time and would appreciate confirmation of dates and serial numbers and cause if possible

Incident 1

August 18, 1927 Tech Sgt. Robert George "Joe-Pete" Fry from Boeing FB-1 A6887 at Hsin Ho, China - Cause Unknown

Fry was later the pilot of TWA Flight 599 Crashed Mar 31, 1931. Fokker F-VII tri-motor airliner NC999E which near Bazaar Kansas killing famed football coach Knute Rockne, of the University of Notre Dame

Incident 2

April 24, 1928 Capt. James Tillinghast "Nuts" Moore 0-685 at Tientsin racetrack. In this case he was giving a demonstration of aerobatics to the Chinese when the wings came off his machine. I would assume it was also a Boeing FB-1 but this is unconfirmed

See

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0china&f=false

and below (note the date is wrong for this) I have had two separate sources that it is April 24, 1928

http://eugenedownes.tripod.com/days_...arly_aviation/

Kind Regards

Paul
Old 18th February 2016, 15:59

twocee is on a distinguished road
Re: US Marines Parachute incidents China 1927 to 1928

The Fry details are correct. His FB suffered structural failure while in a roll at 5,000ft.

Unfortunately I could not find anything on Moore's accident. However, the only likely candidate is FB-1, A6888, whose history card has the entry, "April 22 1928, complete wreck", while with the China Marines.
Old 18th February 2016, 20:09
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

George

As always

Many thanks for sorting these out

Paul
Old 20th March 2018, 23:57
sawdust01

On 10 Nov 1927, the Marine Corps' birthday, the 3rd Brigade arranged for a special review. Fourteen planes were flown from Camp MacMurray to put on an air show for the Chinese at Tientsin. One incident that occurred during the air show has long been remembered by thoes who witnessed it. During an exhibition of stunt flying, Captian James T. "Nuts" Moore made a low pass over the crowd and then went into a breathtaking roll, lost the wings from his aircraft, bailed out,and parachuted into a moat in front of the stands. Most spectators, unaware that it had not been planned, thought it was the best show they ever saw.
Old 17th June 2021, 19:02
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

August 18, 1927 Tech Sgt. Robert George "Joe-Pete" Fry from Boeing FB-1 A6887 at Hsin Ho, China - Cause Unknown
I believe this is the incident - but date different

Parachute Saves American Airman In North China
The China Press (1925-1938); Shanghai [Shanghai]24 Aug 1927: 3.
Parachute Saves
American Airman
In North China (Reuters Pacific Service) Tientsin, Aug. 23.—An American plane flying to Hsinho from Tientsin on Saturday (sic 20th August 1927) crashed from a height of two thousand feet as a result of engine trouble. The pilot jumped clear by means of a parachute and landed unharmed. The machine was completely wrecked, the engine being buried fourteen feet on the ground.
Old 17th June 2021, 19:15
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

More on Incident 2

Tientsin .—An airplane collapsed and fell during an exhibition of stunt flying, and Capt. Moore, the aviator, escaped by jumping with his parachute. at the review given by the U. S. Marines at the Race Course, before representatives of the American, British, French and Chinese forces in Tientsin and a large number of civilians and service men.
The right wings of the Plane fell off during the course of a varies of somersaults. The machine had previously given a nose dive and rose at terrific speed, and the air resistance was apparently too strong, thus whipping off the wings. The plane rose into the air for a few seconds and dropped straight to the earth. The accident happened at less than eight hundred feet front the ground.
Old 18th June 2021, 16:36

twocee is on a distinguished road

Paul,

I have looked at these accidents again but, unfortunately, have little more to add.

Fry

The accident card makes clear that he was on a training flight from Hsin-Ho when, just after starting a roll, there was a structural failure in the rear fuselage or tail section. Thus, he was not on a cross-country and the engine did not fail, as reported by Reuters.

Moore

There is no accident card for Moore at any of the dates shown and so either the details have been lost or he was not flying a Marine Corps aircraft in the demonstration. However, the history card for FB-1, A-6888, contains the entry "4-22-28 China complete wreck" and with no other accidents around that time this might well have been Moore's aircraft.
Old 19th June 2021, 01:10
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

George thanks I have found another source for Fry accident and in his own words what happened - no confirmation of date but matches what you posted from accident card

December 16, 1928
Oakland Tribune from Oakland, California · Page 79

An Oriental Caterpillar is Sergeant Robert G. Fry, U. S. M. C, who jumped at 1500 feet when something went wrong while he was stunting near Camp McMurray. Hsin Ho, China, . "I was ordered to fly for thirty minutes and practise acrobatic flying," Sergeant Fry declared. "I took off from Hsin Ho and was practising a slow roll at 5000 feet when I heard noise that sounded like something had broken. My plane went out of control at once and I was unable to make it behave. When I realised it would he impossible to regain control, I jumped at 1,00O feet, using my parachute and landed safely. My plane was a complete wreck."

Interesting that that list I sent you has same date for
Moore as loss of FB-1, A-6888
Old 19th June 2021, 01:19
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

And we now have “new” one

1st Lieut Francis Butler Loomis Jr August 5th 1929 while training at NAS Pensacola
and the aircraft being Curtiss F6C-4, A-7422.

Saves Life with Parachute. By tha Associated Press PENSACOLA, Fla.. Aug. 6th; Lieut. F. B. Loomis of the Marine Corps owes his life to the perfect working of a silken parachute which he carried when he went into the air maneuvers aa part of his combat course yesterday. He was flying at an altitude of $000 feet when his plane failed to right Itself. The flyer Jumped with his parachute and suffered only slight injuries. , The plane crashed near the Osceola Club golf links, several miles distant, and was demolished.

August 6, 1929
A Publisher Extra Newspaper
St. Louis Post-Dispatch from St. Louis, Missouri · Page 4
Old 19th June 2021, 09:55
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Are the USMC units known in any of the above incidents?

Cheers
Stig