Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th June 2012, 19:11

ian hunt is on a distinguished road
Re: 1940 Hurricane loss photograph - France

Hi Andy

Interesting picture. That Hurri looks in remarkably good condition - no damage to the upper prop tip; and from its tilted-forward angle perhaps the belly scoop wasn't even severely crushed as you'd expect. Makes me wonder if it could even have made a wheels-down landing on the sand?

Looking forward to finding out more as the details piece together bit by bit.

Ian
Old 9th June 2012, 21:09
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
There is at least one picture of a 607 Sq Hurricane with its winged lion on the white of the fin flash. I wonder just how common this was with RAuxAF units, as there seems to be at least three examples (the well-known Airacobras being the third).
The 601 Squadron Hurricanes of the early 1940 period had their red flying sword emblem under the chin and behind the prop spinner back-plate. Later in 1940 they, too, reverted to the squadron emblem on the white of the fin flash.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:09
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Andy,

You asked for me to comment. I've got a large DB on a/c force-landed on French Beaches during 1940, but this one is new to me. Peter Cornwell is upgrading our entire EoE DB for May, 1940, as I write this, and I'm sure will give this his best shot. I don't have anything to add to the identification on this one.

Regards,
Old 12th June 2012, 05:29

pfP7063 is on a distinguished road

Yes please! And thank you in advance.
A very nice shot. It looks like the pilot made wheels down landing.
Paul
Old 13th June 2012, 10:00
Alter Hase

Thanks Larry.

I am already talking to Peter about this and he has a high-res copy which I am, of course, happy for him to share with you.

An interesting 'photo - in many respects!
Old 16th June 2012, 16:04

Hurri600 is on a distinguished road

Have just found a letter which Pat Leeson sent me back in 1997, he was the Pilot of L2121.
He States
' I was flying as No 2 to Gerry Edge & shortly after reaching the coast of France, we ran into thick cloud & parted company fearing a collision. I then went down to ground level & ran straight into ground flak. The radiator was hit & 109's appeared so decided to land on my belly & was wounded when first flattening out'

So i believe to photo is not L2121 but more likely L2119 flown by N.Forbes.

Hope this is of Interest & help.
Iain
Old 16th June 2012, 22:58
Alter Hase

Iain

Thats interesting! Many thanks.

However, why does this rule out L2121 do you think? Is it because he made no mention of landing on a beach?

Presumably both made a forced landing, and both POW.

Just a little unclear as to why you favour Forbes over Leeson. But it might just be me!!
Old 17th June 2012, 02:33

Hurri600 is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy

My reasoning is only that he stated he bellylanded as opposed to a force landing.
However you are quite correct not a definite conclusion it could be just a choice of wording.
He came down near St Pol but i have no idea where this is in relation to the coast.
Also records mention as does the letter that Leeson was wounded, there appears to be no mention of Forbes being hurt and as there seems to be little visible damage to the aircraft.
However there could possibly be damage on the other side, not concrete evidence just my thoughts.
Iain
Old 17th June 2012, 04:01

Buffnut453 is on a distinguished road

St.Pol Sur Mer is adjacent to Dunkirk (indeed, today, the two pretty much merge into into one urban sprawl). This, perhaps, suggests that Pat Leeson's aircraft is a contender for this photo?
Old 17th June 2012, 13:54
Alter Hase

Indeed, although I think there are one or two other places called St Pol that could also be possible although the coastal location sounds good to me.

I am not sure I understand your rationale,Iain. Isn't a 'belly landing' exactly what we are looking at in this photograph?

I do agree, though, that there is little visible damage to point to pilot being wounded - but that could have resulted from no more than one, or two, holes that might well be invisible in a photo like this.

I think the jury is still out!