Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 20th August 2020, 17:23
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Crecy Do 17 Corrections

I fear the publishers would not be interested and put the onus on the author
Old 20th August 2020, 19:01
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Luis dos Santos View Post
It´s a pity that few publishers think in creating a section for dowloadable files with corrections for their books... Maybe Crecy could think about this.
There's nothing to stop an author or group of authors buying some web space and making corrections available online if publishers won't. Some web companies provide templates for sites that users can customise.

Actually, the commitment for a publisher could be minimal given that they already have websites. They need only require that authors submit all errata as a pdf file and that they would only accept (say) two such submissions per year.
Old 20th August 2020, 22:11
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Years ago, a correction was made available for the four volume book series on the Me 262 by Classic. I printed it out and dropped it into the book on the relevant page.
Old 21st August 2020, 12:37

AndyMa is on a distinguished road

Sadly, I think a lot of publishers would rather just bury corrections, in the (mistaken IMHO) belief that if they see the light of day it may affect sales.
Chris, I laud you for putting up this sub-section - it can only help future researchers/writers to avoid making the same (minor) mistakes.
Old 4th November 2020, 14:42

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road

Chris, a note on photographs p. 268 bottom. There are several other photographs of this a/c, some with the church in the background, one is captioned 29.9.41 Demidow, and if you search for Demidov church at google it is indeed this exact building. The a/c is coded U5+GT.
So I do not think that identification as W.Nr. 3340 Stab K.G. 2 from 1941-10-07 is correct.

I can mail you the copies of eBay photos if you like.

regards,
Pawel
Old 4th November 2020, 16:43
Alter Hase

Thanks Pawel. I was going on the Witebsk on the back of the upper photo but would be interested in seeing what you scanned from eBay. It is strange that by this date III./KG 2 had returned to Germany so the only possibility is 24 Jul 41 but both aircraft lost that day by 9./KG 2 at Demidow were 100% which this aircraft is not.
Old 5th November 2020, 09:42

Chris, according to Ulf Balke 9. Staffel was left in Russia until at least 26.9.1941.
And here are the photographs – https://we.tl/t-Fjzg9pZLdG

regards,
Pawel
Old 5th November 2020, 09:50

Sorry, correct package here – https://we.tl/t-xkFy4Wol1l
Old 5th November 2020, 10:02
Alter Hase

Thanks Pawel. According to Ulf Balke, the last III./KG 2 casualty was 16 Aug 41 an that was a 9 Staffel aircraft so nothing really that matches apart from 24 July and what I said but would agree the aircraft is a 9 Staffel machine. Note one photo says Witebsk and another Demidow!
Old 5th November 2020, 10:20

I agree that July losses are likely candidates, Witebsk and Demidov are not far from each other, the a/c may have been left lying there, especially as K.G. 2 was transferred to Wereteni (northern sector).

On the other hand parts of K.G. 2 left in Russia transferred back to Witebsk in late Sept./early Oct. and that leaves space for speculations. Maybe it was non-operational loss and therefore not recorded?