Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th January 2005, 18:46

aestorm
Re: Missing 31 SAAF Liberator KH158 of 12/10/44

The crew of KH158 were -

Maj SS Urry SAAF -pilot
F/O GE Hudspith RAF-second pilot
F/O TR Millar RAAF -bombaimer -my father
Lt GA Collard SAAF -navigator
Lt NW Armstrong SAAF
2 Lt PJ Lordan SAAF
W/O LB Bloch SAAF
Sgt RC Fitzgerald RAF

Does anyone remember them ?

Anne Storm [nee Millar]
Old 14th January 2005, 15:55
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Anne
Have you tried Warsaw 44 Club?
Old 14th January 2005, 16:15

aestorm
Dear Franek

Thanks for your reply.
I know the founder of the Warsaw 44 Club & am a member myself .
My father & part of this crew ,with 2 others,Metelerkamp & Lockey, took part in the Warsaw airlifts in Aug. 1944.

Metelerkamp & Lockey were killed in ANOTHER 31 SAAF Liberator. on 12/10/44.

Anne Storm
Old 14th January 2005, 19:06
Alter Hase

Dear Anne
I have forwarded your email to a friend who is researching Warsaw Airlift (he dug some remains of SAAF Liberators), so probably he has some contacts to aircrew. Perhaps there are some associations in SA as well.
I am afraid I cannot be of more help.
Best wishes
Old 14th January 2005, 22:43

aestorm
Dear Franek
Thanks for your offer of help & I will be interested to hear from your friend. My father safely returned to base from the two trips to Warsaw, though with a hole in the plane.Many Liberators of 31 SAAF & RAF Sqdns were shot down over Warsaw .

In 1968 I visited Warsaw but did not know then that my father took part in the airlifts .

The crew, inc SS Urry & TR Millar, listed in my first notice disappeared on 12/13th October 1944 while on a supply dropping mission to Italian partisans.The drop zone was ENE of Genoa,Italy.The weather turned for the worse with poor ground visibility & strong winds .Five other Libs crashed but wreckage later found It is presumed that the KH158 went into the sea but we have no evidence of this.

I just wondered if some one reading this notice might have known any of the crew during their time in Italy ?

I am in contact with the nephew of the pilot [Maj SS Urry] who has a notice on this forum

Anne
Old 15th January 2005, 12:43
Alter Hase

Dear Anne
Yes, I know of involvement of your father in Warsaw Airlift. He flew both sorties in Liberator EV838 H. The first sortie was on 13/14 August, the crew jettisoned load over Sule (Montenegro) due to mechanical failure and turned back. On the very next night they were over Warsaw and dropped supplies on Plac Napoleona. During the sortie they noticed downing of crews of Szostak (1586 SDF), Casey (148 Sqn), van Rensburg and van Eyssen (31 Sqn SAAF). Van Eyssen passed away in RSA few years ago I think.
I think Wojtek can send you some photos from Warsaw that may be of your interest and possibly send you some addresses. I know he contacted Urry's nephew, so presumably already send you an email as well.
Best wishes
Old 15th January 2005, 13:51

aestorm
Dear Franek
No I haven't heard from Wojtek & would be MOST interested to have photos & addresses.If he emails I can send him MY address.The same with you ?? My email address is below.
I was very pleased to have your detailed sortie information about my father's Warsaw flights.Thank you.

The Urry's live in Sth Africa & I am in UK, though we have met & are in contact by email .I went to a memorable 31/34 Commemoration there last year & there are regular Polish commemorations in SA ,UK & Australia .There was a 60th commemoration trip to Poland last summer ,from UK, which you probably knew about or took part in .
My mother lives in Sydney & is 85 .I have been researching my father's disappearance for some years. I am in contact with an ex Warsaw partisan who lives in Townsville, Australia.

Regards
Anne
storm04@globalnet.co.uk
Old 15th January 2005, 17:01
Alter Hase

Anne
I will drop you a PM with Wojtek's contact details.
It seems a report of Maj. Urry is in Studium Polski Podziemnej archive in London, ref no Sk 19/2, so probably you can get it personally. Some related documents are at Pretoria but cannot say if they are of any value for you.
Best wishes
Old 15th January 2005, 17:27

aestorm
Dear Franek
Thank you

Anne