Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 24th October 2009, 20:18

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Dutch unit in 5th AF, USAAF

Hi,

In the magazine of IMPS Stockholm from September 2005 there is an article on colours of Dutch military aircraft. I was surprised to see a unit under the command of US 5th AF listed among the units that was established after the fall of the Netherlands East Indies.

From the article:

"After the fall of the NEI, most of the air staff staff joined the Royal Australian Air Force, where they served as independent units:
  • 1 Squadron (formerly a US 5th AF section)
  • 2 (NEI) Squadron (formerly a RAAF section), later merged into 1st Transport Squadron, not officially RAAF, only to become 19 (NEI) Squadron in 1945. The unit operated Douglas DC-3 Dakotas, L-12, L-18 and B-25 Mitchells converted to freighters.
  • 18 (NEI) Squadron with B-25 Mitchells;
  • 119 (NEI) Squadron with B-25 Mitchells (and an L-18), disbanded within 6 months (Dec '43);
  • 120 (NEI) Squadron with P-40N
  • PEP (Personnel & Equipment Pool), a reserve squadron that also did some operational work, operting all aircraft types used by the others
After the war these squadrons formed the core of the new ML-KNIL."

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with info about this unit or tell me where I can find info.

Thanks in advance
Peter
Old 25th October 2009, 19:02
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Dutch unit in 5th AF, USAAF

Peter,

What later was to become 1 NEI Transport Squadron operated within 5th AF (USAAF) as two sections: NEI-TSB (Brisbane) with 5 x B-25C and 3 x Lodestars and NEI-TSM (Melbourne) with ? x B-25 and 9 x Lodestars.
Pilots were from KLM and KNILM who had found themselves without airliners after the fall of the Dutch East Indies.
The sections primarily flew for No. 18 and No. 120 Squadrons. They were reformed as 1 NEI Transport squadron in Nov. 1944 and later renamed as 19 (NEI) Squadron in 1945.
Meanwhile they had received five Lockheed 12A's and 4 x C-47s as well.

Free from small history on
http://www.go2war2.nl/artikel/232/11

Regards,

Leendert
Old 25th October 2009, 19:31

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Re: Dutch unit in 5th AF, USAAF

Thanks Leendert,

Exactly what I needed.

Regards,
Peter