Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th April 2005, 23:09

thedrake is on a distinguished road
Oblt.Klaus Bretschneider of II/JG300-info?

Read a wargame scenario with Oblt.Klaus Bretschneider of II/JG300 attacking B-17's on 15 August 1944;gave some info on his fighting characteristics and that he was killed on 24 December 1944.

Anyone know where I can find further information on this pilot and his combat exploits??

Thanks,
MD
Old 7th April 2005, 06:11
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Bretschneider

Hi

A good Internet thumbnail biography of this ace can be found at www.luftwaffe.cz/bretschneider.html I hope that this helps.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 7th April 2005, 23:50

Re: Oblt.Klaus Bretschneider of II/JG300-info?

LEO,

Yes that was very helpful;also found a little info here:
http://www.jg300.de/

-just searched under 5/jg300 until I found his name.

Thanks,
MD
Old 9th April 2005, 06:17
Alter Hase

Bretschneider

Hi

I am glad that I could be of some help in your quest for information concerning Leutnant Klaus Bretschneider. I must say that due to your request I took a look at my saved example of the thumbnail biography and was able to find some new information. I was able to uncover an unlisted victory included in Tony Wood's claims files for him, a Stirling four-engined bomber claimed on 28 August 1943 at 1:55 east of Nürnburg at 4,500 m. If this added victory is included then he actually claimed 35 victories, 15 of them at night. It also appears that his second victory was a Lancaster four-engined bomber claimed on 6 September at 0:20 south of Mannheim. He seems to has served with 6./JG 300 until April 1944, although I must admit I am not sure of this. When awarded the Ritterkreuz on 18 November 1944 his total stood at 34 victories, again, including the added victory. He remained a Leutnant throughout his career, apparently promoted to Oberleutnant posthumously. These updates are minor but hopefully add to a more complete picture of this famous four-engined bomber killer.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 9th April 2005, 09:43

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

well spotted Leo....so much for the info (and profile) on jg300.de and luftwaffe.cz then...
this latter site also repeats the old myth about the parachute landing on the edge of a ravine that was dreamt up by the writer of an old article in 'Der Landser'...

Last edited by FalkeEins; 9th April 2005 at 12:35.
Old 10th April 2005, 05:58

Thanks for the help+info on this fighter pilot.I read about him in a wargaming scenario published in Air Power magazine (support mag published by the designer of the Fighting Wings/Air Power aerial combat games,by Clash of Arms
Games.) The scenario gave some very brief details on Bretschneider stating that he was very aggressive,especially after having lost his family in Berlin to a bombing raid;also stated about his bringing down bombers by ramming,if necessary.Just wanted to know if there was anything else written about him,or first-hand accounts from him.

Thanks,
MD
Old 10th April 2005, 19:27
Alter Hase

Bretschneider

Hi guys

Thank you FalkeEins about the truth to the episode of his bailing out - I did not know that part was not factual. You learn something new every day!

Horrido!

Leo