Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th July 2009, 00:13
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
S/L Gerry Edge shot down 26/9/40

Hi guys

The late G/Capt Edge DFC apparently believed he was shot down by his No.2 at 1100 hours on 26 September 1940. He baled out into the Channel and was rescued. His No.2 failed to return.

I can't find any Bf109 claims for Hurricanes around this time. Any ideas?

Cheers
Brian
Old 13th July 2009, 08:12
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: S/L Gerry Edge shot down 26/9/40

Edge was insistent that his wingman got him but I believe he was a victim of JG 51 and that pilot was shot down immediately after. Reason why-I was in touch with the brother of that German pilot who sent me a letter from the St Kap stating what happened. Don't ask me any more details as I am still away and writing this from memory!
Old 13th July 2009, 12:34
Alter Hase

Hi Chris

Trust you're enjoying your extended holiday!!

I assume you mean Walter Meudtner of 3/JG51?

Cheers
Brian
Old 13th July 2009, 14:57
Alter Hase

That is him. The letter was written by his St Kap. Edge was most insistent that he was never shot down by a German aircraft and you have to respect his views but the German events do show the incident in a different light.

Very hot here but home for a meeting on Wednesday before coming straight back-curry, tea and British beer top the wish list for Wednesday night!
Old 13th July 2009, 20:04
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Hope your Wednesday night wish list comes to fruition, Chris!

Brian - just curious, but if Edge thought he had been shot down by his No.2 then who got his No.2?? That said, I suppose the fact that the No.2 didn't come home is not, of itself, indicative of loss due to combat reasons. Anyway.....don't mind me! I'm just thinking aloud.

Whilst I have your attention, Brian, have you ever done any work on 73 Squadron's attack from "Spitfires" on 14 September 1940?
Old 17th July 2009, 12:42
Alter Hase

Just checked what I have. Oblt Richard Leppla, the St Kap of 3/JG 51, wrote to Meudtner's father saying that M was last seen just of Dungeness after they had shot down 2 RAF fighters. He said his victim burst into flames whilst M's victim crashed in flames inland (?). There were no other German ac in the area and afterwards he was told that a pilot had been rescued from the sea. It would appear that a lack of witnesses meant that Leppla and Meudtner were not credited with the kills. However, a JG 51 diary I have said that 2 RAF fighters were shot down that day and Meudtner missing. Prien has no mention of this but does say that I/JG 77 (IV/JG 51) claimed 2 Hurricanes that day................
Old 18th July 2009, 13:27
Alter Hase

Thanks for all the extra gen, Chris.

The way I now read this action, is that Leppla probably shot down Edge and that Somolinski and Meudtner engaged in combat, possibly inflicting damage on each other and both falling into the sea.

Cheers

Brian