Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd March 2011, 20:19

Mark R. is on a distinguished road
Captured Italian AF Records at US National Archives

Anyone had any exposure/experience with the Regia Aeronautica records that are part of the microfilmed Italian Armed Forces captured records (T-821) at the US National Archives in College Park, Maryland? Specifically Regia Aeronautica daily reports on Rolls 191, 193 and 194? Many thanks in advance.
Old 1st April 2011, 02:29

Re: Captured Italian AF Records at US National Archives

Well, if I figured out how I could have edited this, then I would not have replied to myself. To answer my own question, as the microfilms have arrived, Roll 191 has daily Superaereo daily reports from MARCH 1942 through the end of the Tunisia campaign. While they do not mention every pilot lost by name, some are named. Most aircraft losses are mentioned. This seems to be the source used by Shores et al for Fighters over Tunisia as a quick check showed that FOT's narrative for 12 November 1942 did not differ significantly from the Superaereo entry - one major variation being the second SM-79 pilot shot down that afternoon by flak is named in the primary sources and not the book. Rolls 193 and 194 consist of daily log entries for Luftwaffe operations - probably by an Italian liaison officer. Each Luftwaffe mission is listed in detail with regard to times flown, number of aircraft, flight route, and sometimes they also add losses/claims. No Unit IDs on any of the three rolls I obtained.

Roll 191 also has many details on Italian air transport operations during the Tunisian campaign (equipment and personnel ferried to and from).

- A second day poring through microfilm reveals the reports are separated by commands - there are reports for Yugoslavia, Sicily, Sardinia, and Tunisia. Some commands submit more detailed (Yugoslavia and Sicily) than others (Tunisia). The reports from the pre-TORCH African phase of operations are pretty detailed too. The Italian liaison for X Fliegerkorps and Luftwaffe command in Afrika are also informative, if a little vague on unit designations.

Hope this is of interest to some researcher.

Last edited by Mark R.; 2nd April 2011 at 00:49.
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:02

AndreasB is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark

I have the daily rolls for late 1941. Here's an example:

http://crusaderproject.wordpress.com...of-superaereo/

Is this the stuff you are looking at too?

All the best

Andreas
Old 6th April 2011, 16:26

Andreas,

That seems to be the exact format and wording. I noticed that the reports which I have for early to mid-1942 seem a bit more detailed than those submitted by Italian AF units stationed in Tunisia after November 1942. Data on Italian transport aircraft activities and losses is somewhat uneven, though there are many daily summaries of how many personnel and supplies were flown to Tunisia on a given date.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 5th June 2011, 11:43

AndreasB is on a distinguished road

Interestingly, I also found that the file contains Italian translation of the OBS reports, at least for certain periods. The file is not well ordered, and it contains the following:

a) daily Italian Comando Supremo report by Gen. Fougier on the German activities
b) some Italian pre-translation of OBS report
c) some German originals of OBS report.

This does include activities, losses, claims, recce results.

Below an example:

Quote:
Comando Supremo
Received by teletype at 1810/1825 on 21/12/41
From Superaereo to Com. Supremo and Supermarina
No. 1348
We transmit the following telegram from the R. Aeronautica General at the staff of C-i-C South.
Five Ju 88 II/KG77 took off 1050 and landed 1230. Attacked naval base La Valetta. Two planes at 1136 dive-bombed (attaccato in picchiata) from 1,500 m a battleship. Another two attacked merchant vessels, and the fifth attacked living areas. Results not observed due to bad weatehr. Precise reaction by AA. Six 1,000kg and six 500kg bombs dropped. From the visual reconnaissance it appears no change compared to yesterday's situation.
Gen. Fougier
All the best

Andreas