Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th July 2014, 18:46
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Tall RAF pilots?

Bob Jones (rest his soul), told me many years ago, that the reason early production Spitfire I machines changed from "flat" to "blown" canopies later in the series is that university reserve pilots training were taller than earlier regular pilots.

Any truth to this?
Old 30th July 2014, 13:03
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Tall RAF pilots?

Maybe this is a more generalised description of a relaxation in the height percentiles given the need to accept more and more pilots? Just a suggestion, not informed in any way. I'd have thought that the prewar university reserve pilots would be coming from much the same social strata as the regulars, and the better fed/fitter strata anyway.

However, it's not something I've seen mentioned anywhere else, and given the low profile a more general need for head room would seem sufficient.
Old 30th July 2014, 22:44

udf_00 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tall RAF pilots?

Bulged canopy not because the Oxbridge types were that tall, rather big-headed.

In August 1938, K9789 & K9792 were alloctad to 19 & 66 Sq for operational trials.
among the complaints
inadequate starter,
engine leaking oil,
u/c pumping and
low cockpit canopy (yes, because of taller pilots hitting their head).

On 4 May 1939 there was a Press Day at Duxford and there is some pics of a row of 19 Sq Spitfires
WZ° (no Sq letter) bulged canopy with unpainted frame
WZ°C low canopy
WZ°(I or L) bulged canopy
WZ°(H or U) bulged canopy
At this date UAS were probably flying open-cockpit aircrafts and their members were called-up for active service not earlier than September 1939.