Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 3rd November 2006, 18:01
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Legion of Honor

Is the Legion of Honor the highest French award in WWII, or slightly post-war, or was it the highest award that could be made to foreigners?

Thanks
Old 3rd November 2006, 19:42

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: Legion of Honor

John - I believe it was highest award to 'furriner's as we say in Texas. My father had the Legion of Honor, the Croix de Guerre with Etoile de Vermeil and the Polish Cross of Valour - which was the same class in context of 'furriner's for Poland.

Regards,

Bill Marshall
Old 3rd November 2006, 22:57
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Cross of Valour is just an ordinary, basic military award, a little bit similar in concept to Iron Cross. The one may get three bars to it, and then receives Cross of Virtuti Militari Order. Both are established for wartime only, but they may be awarde to any soldier regardless of his nationality.
I believe Legion of Honour is awarded to Frenchmen as well, but cannot be certain.
Old 4th November 2006, 13:53
Alter Hase

CJE

The "Légion d'Honneur" is the best that can be awarded to a French soldier... There are several degrees: chevalier, officier, commandeur, grand officier and grand-croix. Only 75 "grand-croix" have been awarded.
It can be awarded to men, women, foreigners, whatever the rank.

When it was created by Napoléon Bonaparte in 1802, it was a high military award. Since it can now also be awarded to civilians for anything that can promote France abroad (singers, novelists, footballers...), military think it's kind of a devaluated medal.

We, French, have never been able since Napoléon to create a highly coveted award, such as the Ritterkreuz, "Pour le Mérite", Congressional Medal of Honor or VC (though, as most VCs were awarded posthumously, I doubt it was a highly coveted award!).
Old 4th November 2006, 18:12

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Franek - for what it is worth this Polish Cross has two vertical purple bars on a white background.. I have no clue what the significance is or was - but he received it for leading the Fighter effort during Frantic VII on 18 September.

Regards,

Bill
Old 4th November 2006, 18:51
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Colours of ribbon varied in time, but I do not have any idea why. I may assure you, it is a general military award, just the same as received by thousands of Polish soldiers.