Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th August 2008, 03:03
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough
A Me 262 being dismantled on a lake shore

A tough nut for a change, but also an excellent shot:

Any idea as to where, and, even tougher, which machine it is?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul-w-...-94197940@N00/

As for the second, I do not dare to ask anything...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul-w-...7594062574674/

Thanks to the original poster, Paul-W, over at Flickr
Cheers

Marc
Old 30th August 2008, 14:05

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: A Me 262 being dismantled on a lake shore

Hello, Marc-Andre...

Sorry, but I can't help with the location of the first photo, although it might have been an Me262A-2a, given the cannon arrangement in the nose... despite it having no bomb racks. Second one looks as though it has been destroyed during a strafing run. I also thought perhaps it was deliberately sabotaged, but I'd still go with the first option. Excellent photos, though...
Old 30th August 2008, 15:08

SiA8/U1 is on a distinguished road

Hi Marc-Andre,

Nice photos, I notice the second photo is also double exposed, showing the nose and front leg of another '262 around the guy with the shades on.....

Cheers Si
Old 30th August 2008, 18:08

vzlion

Notice that in the first photo all the markings seem to have been removed or painted over.

Walt
Old 31st August 2008, 00:41
Alter Hase

Dear Obdl 3945, Si and Walt

Thanks for your inputs. For the first pic, strafing marks are clear, Obdl; Walt, you're correct by all means: no evident markings, just a lozange shaped hue which differs on the tail, at about the place where one would find the Swastika. Maybe a sign this plane was already under "new management"? This is not so obvious as, though not being an expert at all, it seems that the car behind the plane is a German Horch.

A look at the plane itself also shows the front wheel and leg are both missing, the main gear is down and with tyres, and that the righ engine is entirely missing, replaced, by an odd looking funnel-type object. Really an interesting picture: not a single clear evidence as to the place, the unit or even a clear sense for the ongoing action...

Cheers

Marc
Old 31st August 2008, 03:16

In the first photo, I think the 'funnel-type object' is actually the right cowling, with the engine and forward intake removed. I don't think the aircraft in the first photo has been strafed, though. The one in the second photo is the one I think has been strafed. Also not sure that second photo is a double exposure. The forward fuselage and nosewheel seem to my untrained eye to be from this same machine, shown at the angle it settled at after the aircraft was destroyed. However, I am not knowledgeable on things photographic, so I could well be wrong...
Old 31st August 2008, 11:48
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by obdl3945 View Post
In the first photo, I think the 'funnel-type object' is actually the right cowling, with the engine and forward intake removed. I don't think the aircraft in the first photo has been strafed, though. The one in the second photo is the one I think has been strafed. Also not sure that second photo is a double exposure. The forward fuselage and nosewheel seem to my untrained eye to be from this same machine, shown at the angle it settled at after the aircraft was destroyed. However, I am not knowledgeable on things photographic, so I could well be wrong...
Odbl,

In the first photo, I thought of the cowling too, for the funnel like object; the lack of engine made me change my mind... About strafing damage on the first photo, what about those small diagonal holes close to the nose of the machine? Production small ports? I thought those were bullet scars.

As for the second picture, I concur with you: the angle of the nose is in line with the charred remains behind it. Though not knowledgeable photowise, the double exposure seems to settle in about the level of the heads of the on-looking GI's.

Cheers

Marc
Old 31st August 2008, 12:08

SiA8/U1 is on a distinguished road

Ah yes, can see that now, it's the background that looks odd with the lower trees and the two dark lines going through the nose....

Si
Old 31st August 2008, 14:27

Hi...

The two diagonal outlets under the nose on the first photo are, I believe, the ejection shutes for the cartridges from the nose cannon. There would have been two corresponding outlets on the opposite side.

As for the six small black 'dots' with slightly larger, circular areas of lighter coloured camouflage paint around them, the four immediately below the cockpit front and rear area correspond with known access (?) panels, which seem to have been removed after the application of the colour scheme we are looking at, hence the larger area of lighter paint around them (original undercoat / camouflage colour?). I can only imagine that the two similar areas on the lower forward nose directly under the cannon port denote similar access panels.

Regards...
Old 31st August 2008, 20:35
Alter Hase

Smile Re: A Me 262 being dismantled on a lake shore

Odbl,

Agreed about the ejection chutes, my look was caught by the seven small portholes. Thanks for your point. And still not a single clue as to where, when and from which unit. Good to know that future research on this type is still a necessity.

Cheers
Marc