Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th April 2014, 21:38
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking further info and photos on 27.05.40 Losses/Damages to I./KG3 Do17Zs

Hello,

We have six entries in the EoE LW loss DB involving I./KG3 Do17s on 27.05.40, about which I'm seeking further information, especially photos relating to the incidents. Does anyone have any information to help?

"May 27, 1940

I./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Belly-landed damaged by fighters during sortie over Dunkirk. Crew unhurt. Aircraft 40% damaged but repairable. WHERE DID THIS A/C "BELLY LAND? TO WHICH STAFFEL DID IT BELONG. NAMES OF CREWMEN?"

2./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Shot down by fighters over Gravelines. FF Lt Horst Hampel and BF Obergefr Richard Lock both killed, HS Uffz Werner Köllner baled out wounded – later returned, observer also believed baled out unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off. WHERE DID IT ACTUALLY CRASH?

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Returned badly damaged by AA and ground fire over Hondschoote, south-east of Dunkirk, 4.00 p.m. HS Gefr Johann Hölzle slightly wounded - admitted to hospital in Leipzig, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft damage state not recorded.

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Damaged by AA and ground fire near Hondschoote, south-east of Dunkirk, and crash-landed near Brussels 4.15 p.m. BM Uffz Herbert Hirche fractured skull during landing – died two days later, FF Uffz Heinrich Zimmermann, BO Gefr Fritz Schäfer, and BF Gefr Hans Brandt all slightly wounded. Aircraft 100% write-off. ANY PHOTOS KNOW FOR THIS INCIDENT?

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Returned without bomb-aimer who fell through unsecured hatch during sortie to Dunkirk. BO Uffz Walter Rohde landed badly injured – later admitted to hospital in Dresden, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft undamaged.

3./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Believed shot down by F/L Treacy and P/O Stephen of No. 74 Squadron over Hondschoote, south-east of Dunkirk, crashed and burned out south-west of Fruges 4.00 p.m. FF Lt Werner Kornblum and crew unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off. ANY PHOTOS KNOWN OF THIS WRECK SITE? NAMES OF OTHER CREWMEN?"

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11th April 2014, 21:45

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking further info and photos on 27.05.40 Losses/Damages to I./KG3 Do17Zs

There are books that deal with this day:
Tiger Squadron Ira Jones a history of 74 Squadron
Air battle over Dunkirk that has a list of RAF claims that day
Old 14th April 2014, 16:45
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

James,

Thanx for your comment. We've pretty much used the Allied reports, as well as German, in the compilation of our loss lists, from which we're now trying to match photos that are turning up. If you're thinking of a specific incident that matches, please call that to our attention. I know that there are people out there who have been able to match specific incidents, or know more about photos of crashes that we do. Sometimes photos have captions or other information that we don't know about that have previously sold on eBay to readers of this board.

That is what we're trying to do here. We don't want to re-create the wheel if it already exists.

Regards,
Old 14th April 2014, 17:21
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

I have a few problems with this list and have only four losses of I/KG 3.

Are you sure, that Lt Kornblum was not Beobachter of 2./KG 3 aircraft? Kornblum was also POW and returned later.

Are you sure, that the first in your list (I./KG 3) is not the crash of Heinrich Zimmermann. I have for Zimmermann's crash 40 % damages.

Or maybe I am just simply missing two incidents.

Matti
Old 14th April 2014, 22:18
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Matti,

These comments are extremely helpful. I've passed these on to Peter Cornwell for his response, which I'm sure will be forthcoming.

Still hoping to turn up some photos that might support these crashes/incidents; none so far.

Regards,