Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th March 2016, 11:44

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Oxygen system information required for BoB 109's and slightly later please

Oxygen systems in aircraft

A friend of mine is doing some background research on O2 systems in BOB aircraft. I wonder if our knowledgable community can help me with some information:

For example in the BOB spitfires & Hurricanes each has a butterfly value operated oxygen regulator. The regualtor could be set to deliver a variable rate of oxygen flow based notionally on altitide. ie. the pilot would select (say) an altitude of 15,000ft on the regularot & oxygen would flow at some rate; the pilot could change the setting to (say) 20,000ft & oxygen would flow at a higher rate, given the lower pressure at height. Does anyone have any techincal information on what the actual flow-rate was in the regulator at various settings?

With that as an example does anyone have technical information on German or Italian aircraft oxygen regulators around 1939 - 1942 period? Specifically, how they operated & flow rates?

I realise that's quite a wide gamut, but 109's E series and F2 and F4 are of particular interest, Italian G.50 too.

Thanks for any help, cheers, MP
Old 27th March 2016, 16:00
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Re: Oxygen system information required for BoB 109's and slightly later please

In the Me109 F and onward, was like the RAF one, but the pilot did not need (and could not) set any specific altitude for the flow to start...it did so automatically around 4000m, if I recall correctly. Of course this varied with weather, as pressure varied...but that was the general automatic setting.

The Sauerstoffdusche had a valve internally, that like the altimeters, operated based on the pressure difference in the cockpit. The higher altitude, the higher was the automatic flow of O2. This was unit was located on the right side of the cockpit of the Me109 (right side was standard for all aircraft). There was also a button in the center of the unit that allowed the pilot to manually get oxygen at any height, by simply pushing it with his thumb (in the Fw190, it was located at the right elbow level, and a large knob allowed the pilot to simply press it with his elbow to allow flow).

The unit in the Me109 E was a compeltely different design...but I "beleive" worked the same. I do not know much about that one, as my expertise is in the later aircraft.

Mike
Old 28th March 2016, 02:11

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road

Hopefully these sites will yield some helpful, factual information…

http://www.authorsden.com/categories...p.asp?id=69092

http://webs.lanset.com/aeolusaero/Ar...ng_Systems.pdf

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/...luftwaffe-ww2/
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:17

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for your input chaps, very much appreciated, cheers, MP