Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th July 2015, 15:31

Tim O. is on a distinguished road
New image (?) of Josef Harmeling force-landed Bf 109E-4B

Hi all

I recently found this image of Josef Harmeling's Bf 109E-4B on E-Bay. I have seen other images of this aircraft before but none with the 4./LG2 Staffel badge so clearly shown. Many images show the aircraft with just a hole where the badge should have been (presumably it was later cut out by souvenir hunters).

I have Josef Harmeling's award documents and, although his aircraft is illustrated in many books, I have never seen an image of Harmeling included so just for the record here is the photo from his Flugzeugführerschein.

Harmeling's force-landing is well documented. His aircraft was hit by ground fire during a fighter-bomber attack by II.(Schlacht)/LG2 on RAF North Weald, which commenced at 16:40 on 29th October 1940. Having dropped his 100kg bomb but already struggling to regain height, Harmeling's aircraft was attacked and he was lightly wounded in the arm and head (probably by the Hurricane flown by Sergeant Michal Maciejowski, a Polish pilot flying with 249 Squadron). Harmeling force-landed at Wick Farm, Langenhoe near Colchester and was taken prisoner for the duration of the war, finally returning home in 1947. Harmeling's aircraft was sent on a tour of the UK to raise funds for the war effort. The attached image shows the aircraft disassembled for transport during the early days of this tour.

Harmeling was awarded both the Ehrenpokal and Fighter Clasp in Silver after his capture (certificates attached just for interest). He had only recently returned to duty having recovered from a previous wound, when he was shot down over England and captured.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122

Last edited by Tim O.; 27th May 2016 at 23:40.
Old 18th July 2015, 18:13
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: New image (?) of Josef Harmeling force-landed Bf 109E-4B

Tim

I have been told that this is a known photo
Old 18th July 2015, 20:58
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: New image (?) of Josef Harmeling force-landed Bf 109E-4B

Tim O.,

I purchased the same photo as a modern reproduction for the EoE LW photo collection on eBay 18.12.10 from "messerschmitt*109." Prior to that, I hadn't previously seen it. Nice addition to the 8-10 previously know photos of this a/c on the display circuit. Your posting of the photo of H. and the documents are appreciated.