Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th February 2014, 10:20

Mermet is on a distinguished road
Smile Morane antenna

Hello,

What's the reason why the antenna of the FuG 16 ZY device is named "Morane antenna" ? Is there any connexion with the French manufacturer Morane-Saulnier ?

Thank you for your replies.

JCM
Old 20th February 2014, 14:20

RolandF is on a distinguished road
Re: Morane antenna

The first antennae for the FuG 16 ZY appeared in the rear fuselages of special Bf 109Es used as night fighters and had been retractable. Didn´t the MS 406 have such retractable antennae, too? Maybe the designation Morane-Mast comes from here.

Servus

Roland
Old 26th February 2014, 18:04

Mermet is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Morane antenna

Hello Roland,

Maybe... I thought so but not sure.

JCM
Old 25th May 2014, 02:48

waroff is on a distinguished road

Hello JC

Several radiocommunication system had dipole antenna, but Morane is the 1st to use whip antenna for emitter and receiver, since this moment the whip aerial is named "morane antenna" despite that Morane do not create this antenna?

Diable, que mon anglais est mauvais!
Les chasseurs français de 40 avaient tous des antennes sabres, plus rigides que les antennes fouets, mais de principe identique, omnidirectionnelles, alors que la plupart des équipement d'alors avaient alors recours à des dipôles tendus entre mâts et/ou éléments de structure.
Old 25th May 2014, 05:57
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

First, some links:
http://www.cdvandt.org/D-Luft-T-4069-FuG-16ZY.pdf
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/lorenz_...fug_16_zy.html

And the C.Lorenz A.G/ITT (See Ed West pointer about Anthony Sutton times ago! ) article as reminder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Lorenz_AG

As described by waroff we can just make the difference between a Dipole Antenna (created by Herz) and a "Morane antenna" which is a 1/4 wave antenna.

I Wonder if the MS406 aerial was a "Y" antenna; I think it wasn't, but why not. One can confirm?

Like JCM - I guess - I think we should read "Morane LIKE antenna" instead of "Morane antenna" since it seems that term does appear - first - only in - dated - English aviation littérature and - by extension - we all are using it.

Good and useful shortcut but nothing else I'm afraid. (And, for example, I don't think I've read this term in LiF articles ...)

Why? Because it's a technical charasteristic for 1/4 wave antennas to be located - at best - perpendiculary to the support. Since we find dipole antennas for radio communications the only place to fit it is ... Under the belly. For maximum efficiency and to avoid radio interférences.

Remember that some Bf109Fs got one "Y" aerial in place of "normal" radio mast.... without dipole, of course.

Regards, Franck.

Last edited by ouidjat; 25th May 2014 at 06:07. Reason: forgot one link & corrections
Old 25th May 2014, 08:14
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Hi Waroff,

Your French is as good as your English, fully understandable.

ClinA-78
Old 25th May 2014, 08:57
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouidjat View Post
Why? Because it's a technical charasteristic for 1/4 wave antennas to be located - at best - perpendiculary to the support. Since we find dipole antennas for radio communications the only place to fit it is ... Under the belly. For maximum efficiency and to avoid radio interférences.
This being said and in order to be complete and honest, we need to ask what was this aerial on this particular machine, when the dipole is just behind!?:
http://www.me109.info/display.php?a=e&fid=581

on the following view you can see the dipole close to tail fin:
http://www.me109.info/display.php?a=e&fid=583

Regards, Franck.
Old 26th May 2014, 03:30

Quote:
I Wonder if the MS406 aerial was a "Y" antenna; I think it wasn't, but why not. One can confirm?.
On the MS 406, Radio Industrie 537 had two antenna 1/4 wave, emitter (ref MS 37990), receiver (ref MS 37927)

@Clin: Merci Sir!
Old 26th May 2014, 08:43
Alter Hase

Yep waroff,

Two 1/4wave antennas but for radio transmitions not for "y" guidance; am I right?

Next; I never seen those antennas on Bf109Es, new for me, but on Bf109G-6s they weren't foldable (shorter) like on MS406.
So, still, I don't see the relation with it ... so still no answer to JCM question.

Regards, Franck.
Old 26th May 2014, 13:43

Quote:
Yep waroff,

Two 1/4wave antennas but for radio transmitions not for "y" guidance; am I right?.
Exactly, there was not guidance, only radio communication.