Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 26th December 2020, 17:38
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Photos Japanese Army Aircraft

Hi Stig,

Well, it does in all fairness have a lot of colour drawings. However, I find the book very useful. It has a lot of concentrated information in one place and I particularly like the tables provided as a quick method of looking up information. If there's any other book on JAAF training units, I'm not aware of it. I like colour illustrations but would have preferred more photos in truth. As a fan of obscure WW.II aircraft I would particularly have liked some photos or even colour drawings of the rarer prewar aircraft types which survived at training schools beyond 07.12.1941. So my impression is positive on the whole. The main point is, unless there is a Japanese publication on the subject i've missed, there just isn't anything else available.

Regards,

Clint

Last edited by musec04; 28th December 2020 at 14:23.
Old 26th December 2020, 17:48
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photos Japanese Aircraft

I see....hmmm

Maybe stupid of me not to buy one after all.
I have to muse a bit about that...

Thanks Clint!

Cheers
Stig
Old 26th December 2020, 17:58
Alter Hase

Stig,

In order for you to decide whether to purchase or not. What is it you would be looking for in a book on JAAF training units?

Regards,

Clint
Old 26th December 2020, 21:46
Alter Hase

Oh the usual stuff

Baeza is very good when it comes to all the major Army types (gives excellent production details backed up with actual c/n details), but as soon as he reaches the less important types (trainers and stuff like that) he more or less comes up empty handed, so beside production figures, also the c/n for each type would be a bonus.

Had Baeza backed his Ki-79 with c/n details we would have had a home run wouldn't we?

You already stated it has the training units, which is very interesting of course.

Downside is it seems a bit short on the 1912-40 period or did I get that wrong?
Like you I am interested in the build up of Japanese aviation from 1910 - 30/35. The expansion period including WW 2 period is pretty well covered and gets better and better.

Cheers
Stig
Old 26th December 2020, 22:37
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Ok, in turn.

1. The book does not cover aircraft types in the Manner Baeza does.That is to say there is not an entry for each type such as the Ki-9 or Ki-79 for example.So definitely nothing on construction numbers.

2. To give an idea of the contents I'll provide section headings:

1)Introuction
2) Evolution of the Army Flying Schools. P20 - P.27

3) Evolution of the Civil Flying Schools. P.28 - P.36
4)Recruitment & Training P.37 - P.60
5) Training & Aircraft P.61 -P.71
6) The individual Army Flying Schools P.72 P.77
7) Colours & Markings -Profiles P.78 - P.188
8 Individual Civil Flying Schools P.189 - P.194
9) Colours and Markins/Profiles Civil Schools P.195 - P.233
10) Appendices covering; Location f Flying schools in Japan
; IJAAF organization and Rank
IJAAAF Aircraft Designations
P.234 - P.243

So as far as the earlier period goes yes there is a brief history in the 2 sections with evolution in the title and again a littlein the two succeeding sections. including a table for pre 1936 schools with the horizontal axis showing aircraft types and the vertical axis flying schools. It does not give any information other than a tick where school and aircraft type align,. This applies to tables for the wartime period too. It does not provide numbers of each type operated at each school.

My own main interest is actually not covered. For example I would like to know where and how many Mitsubishi Ki-1 were operated post Dec 1941. I am not per se interested in the period before then. The same would apply to other types Nakajima Type 91, kda-5 etc. Unfortunately this information seems hard to find anywhere, if it exists.

Well, this has been quite a long reply, but I felt it necessary as I would not like you to lay out good money if the book does not meet your needs. I've bought books myself in the past based on recomendations from people on aircraft forums and been left only with doubts about their judgement. I wish to avoid the same.

Regards,

Clint
Old 27th December 2020, 12:53
Alter Hase

Thanks again Clint

Must say I am a bit tempted after all.....
No decision today, but I will keep this book in mind.

Cheers
Stig
Old 29th December 2020, 15:36
Alter Hase

Hello,

Following on from the earlier Ki-79 photo I thought I'd post this link which has a few Ki-79 and Ki-27 photos and a lot of colour profiles:

http://www.gahoh.net/traffic/ww2/pro...7-79/index.php

Not being an expert on the subject, if these are taken from an existing publication, my mistake and I will be happy to delete this post.

Regards,

Clint
Old 5th January 2021, 10:06
Alter Hase

Hello,

While browsing ebay I came across an item with seven Japanese aircraft photos at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Ar...p2047675.l2557

I thought I'd better post now as its already sold, so either it contains something interesting (if so I'm not sure what) or the seller has not charged enough (bizarre thought!).

Regards,

Clint
Old 5th January 2021, 10:29
Alter Hase

Well Clint

I am not very good with wrecks and/or close ups, but the only interesting marking I can discover is, on possibly a blown up Ki-21, C-10.

Can't recall seeing anything like that before. Any ideas?
As for the other six photos, they look more or less uninteresting to me....

Cheers
Stig
Old 5th January 2021, 11:10
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

I rather imagine that the C-10 is of American origin. Whether it has any meaning beyond perhaps identifying the 10th wreck at a location beginning with C I'm not sure.If this is correct we'd be looking for an airfIeld in the New Guinea area -( assuming the wreck is actually at an airfield) beginning with C.Does anywhere spring to mind?

Edit.

How confident are you that it is a Ki-21? If a Ki-45 Cape Gloucester is a possibility. Though it could perhaps be a visiting machine or even a transport version.

Regards,

Clint