Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd January 2021, 06:32
Alter Hase

gilles collaveri is on a distinguished road
Picture of aircraft recovered in 1974 from a lake in the region of Howtown Pier

Dear all,

I have the following :

On 31st December 1940 John r. Senior was undertaking a training flight but the aircraft was flying too low and a wing-tip struck Ullswater at 12.00hrs. The pilot escaped the sinking aircraft and was rescued but the aircraft sank to the bottom of the lake in the region of Howtown Pier. In 1974 a team of divers and ATC Cadets brought up the front end of the aircraft which was later held by an ATC group in the Windermere area. Superb photographs of this recovery and reconstructed aircraft are shown in Michael Hurst's book of Lakeland air crashes. The tail of the aircraft is rumoured to be still intact at the bottom of the lake.

I am looking for the photographs of this aircraft at recovery, or today. Would somebody have these and willing to share ?

The reason why is that I am writing the story of the Lancaster ME685 that was shot down in Toulouse, with J.R.Senior as pilot.

Thanks a lot and stay safe.

GC
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:59
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Picture of aircraft recovered in 1974 from a lake in the region of Howtown Pier

Gilles-I have the book which shows the instrument panel being recovered and the reconstructed fuselage but copyright is Michael J Hurst. No address or contact for him and the publisher, Airlife, no longer exists
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:20
Alter Hase

Re: Picture of aircraft recovered in 1974 from a lake in the region of Howtown Pier

Merci Chris, for checking.

what type of aircraft was it ?

If anyone here has an idea on how get these pictures, I shall be grateful.

Have a nice week-end everyone.

GC
Old 23rd January 2021, 14:35
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/...kes/l8355.html

Magister I L8355 - 15 EFTS - Hit water during low flying and dived into Ullswater, 3m SW of Pooley Bridge, Cumberland 31.12.1940

See: Air-Britain's RAF A/C L1000-N9999/J J Halley/Tonbridge, 1993/p.98.

Col.
Old 25th January 2021, 21:12
Alter Hase

Thanks to both of you.

If somebody around would be so nice as to mail me : Air-Britain's RAF A/C L1000-N9999/J J Halley/Tonbridge, 1993/p.98

at gilles.collaveri at hotmail.fr I would be delighted...

cheers

GC
Old 26th January 2021, 08:24
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Gilles I can send you scan of the entry from Hursts book if you want but it adds little else & no mention of pilots name
Old 28th January 2021, 11:17
Alter Hase

Thanks Chris,
no, don't scan it for me if it does not bring more
thanks for the offer anyhow
stay safe
Gilles
Old 28th January 2021, 14:55
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles collaveri View Post
Dear all,

I have the following :

On 31st December 1940 John r. Senior was undertaking a training flight but the aircraft was flying too low and a wing-tip struck Ullswater at 12.00hrs. The pilot escaped the sinking aircraft and was rescued but the aircraft sank to the bottom of the lake in the region of Howtown Pier. In 1974 a team of divers and ATC Cadets brought up the front end of the aircraft which was later held by an ATC group in the Windermere area. Superb photographs of this recovery and reconstructed aircraft are shown in Michael Hurst's book of Lakeland air crashes. The tail of the aircraft is rumoured to be still intact at the bottom of the lake.

I am looking for the photographs of this aircraft at recovery, or today. Would somebody have these and willing to share ?

The reason why is that I am writing the story of the Lancaster ME685 that was shot down in Toulouse, with J.R.Senior as pilot.

Thanks a lot and stay safe.

GC
Hmmm...................
Windermere is an affluent residential area near Disney World in Orlando/Florida and Lakeland is a small city halfway between Orlando and Tampa.
Old 28th January 2021, 15:06

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Surely this is Windermere in the Lake District in the north west of England.
Old 28th January 2021, 15:11
Alter Hase

indeed, J.Senior was an Englishman who was training in England before being a Lancaster Pilot

GC