Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th September 2005, 20:46

HeinkelBomber is on a distinguished road
He 177 Operations?

I am very interested to learn more about the He 177 bombing operations in all theaters. I know that most of the He 177s built served on the Eastern Front (around 700 or so).

This bomber was notoriously dangerous to fly given its fire vulnerability but I always thought the basic design was magnificent. It had a lot of potential but suffered from poor internal configuration.

Any more information anyone has is much appreciated.

http://www.luftwaffepics.com/LCBW3/he177-001.jpg

http://www.luftwaffepics.com/LCBW/He177-A5-12.jpg
Old 30th September 2005, 23:07

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Re: He 177 Operations?

If you have'nt already got a copy, I suggest that you get hold of a copy of Griehl/Dressel "He 177/277/274" - this will give you quite a lot on the He 177.

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 2nd October 2005, 20:14
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinkelBomber
This bomber was notoriously dangerous to fly given its fire vulnerability but I always thought the basic design was magnificent. It had a lot of potential but suffered from poor internal configuration.
My own "Kampfflieger Volume 4" (Classic Publications 2005) includes a quotation from an RAF report on captured He 177 crewmen that rather contradicts this image of it being a death trap.
Old 4th October 2005, 11:32

Primoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinkelBomber
I know that most of the He 177s built served on the Eastern Front (around 700 or so).
I don't think that most He 177s served on the Eastern Front. The He 177 was a complicated aircraft, maintenance was very difficult so it needed well equipped bases with hangars, concrete runways etc.

Which units used He 177s on the Eastern Front? I know of KG 1 but I don't think this unit alone could have had 700 aircraft.
Old 4th October 2005, 13:02

Pawel Burchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz
Which units used He 177s on the Eastern Front?
AFAIK these were I./K.G. 50 (around Stalingrad) and later, for brief time in summer 1944, K.G. 1 from airfields in East Prussia.

Regards,
Pawel