Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th May 2006, 01:04

mustang is on a distinguished road
markings on D.L.V. transitional dagger

can anybody help me with this one,i have an original D.L.V. /1st Luft transitional dagger,on the top scabbord fitting (fixed by staple and original fitting transfered to altered dagger) are the following markings,they are faint but i think...

Horst . KG Cottb 2

the blade also has an inscription ,a little later i think,

Schusitz kampfgeschwader 155/2 staffel , Giebelstadt

i think this is a shooting award inscription for bomber squadron 155/2 staffel,giebelstadt..........later to become kg 158 and help in the anschluss of vienna 1938 as transport etc.

any ideas please,especially on the scabbord bit
Old 27th July 2006, 16:04

Vaughan is on a distinguished road
Re: markings on D.L.V. transitional dagger

Hello,
i was most interested to find this thread (& the site) when searching google for "Horst Cottb"

I recently purchased a 1st Luft dagger from a friend & fellow collector that arrived 4 days ago. It is made by Gebr Heller & has a 31 stamped on the throat. Whilst examining it for a corresponding stamp on the quillion I found that barely discernable was the following marking.

One one quillion "Horst Kp"

On the other what appeared to be "Collb 31"
"Gollb 31"
"Cottb 31"
"Gottb 31"

I have seen the number 31 stamped on a Heller 1st luft that Thomas T Wittman is selling & therefore assume that the number is probably a manufacturers number or (less likely) a unit number. Yours being marked with a "2"

Initially I assumed that Horst was an individuals name but this may not necessarily be correct. Further searches have revealed that there is a place in Germany called Horst. To confuse matters further there is a place in East Germany called Gollbogen for which "Gollb" may be an abbreviation.

I have come to no conclusion as yet & indeed this may prove to be impossible. However in light of the very similar markings on the DLV that you have I think that it is (unfortunately) most likely an identification of a group/unit rather than a specific individuals personalisation.

I shall be making some enquiries with friends who have much more experience than myself & if I am able to find anything definitive I will post it.