Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th July 2013, 15:08

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough
F/O Clayton L. Graham, RCAF & RAF

Gents,

Last Saturday I read an obituary in our local paper on the passing F/O Clayton L. Graham - http://www.smithsfuneralhome.com/13033.htm

My interest was piqued with the brief notation that he served as a flying officer with both the RCAF and RAF in North Africa, Italy and England. A search on the net turned up nothing. Clayton seems typical of many in his generation who came from humble beginings, did their duty and returmed home to resume their lives. This is especially true here in Eastern Canada.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on this fellow's career? Any information is appreciated. Lest we forget...

Cheers,

David
Old 28th July 2013, 18:35
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: F/O Clayton L. Graham, RCAF & RAF

David,

A reference to Clayton Graham is made here: http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/wac/2011%20Spring%20WAC%20Newsletter.pdf

Regards,

Leendert
Old 29th July 2013, 16:25

Hi Leedert,

Many thanks for this. I suspect that he is mentioned in one of the Shores-Ring books (and perhaps others), though my library is not accessible at the moment. Hopefully more can be learned about this gentlemen from these and other sources.

Cheers,

David
Old 30th July 2013, 18:19
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

David

You can read about him in the book Kittyhawks over the Sands by Michel Lavigne ISBN 2-9806879-1-X

I have no idea how easily you can pick up this book today, but back in 2002 the e-mail address listed in the book was lavigne.michel@sympatico.ca

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st August 2013, 21:38

Thanks Stig,

I'll have to see if one of my colleagues has this book or borrow it (inter-library loan).

Cheers,

David
Old 11th August 2013, 02:14

Crimea River is on a distinguished road

This book is available in our local library in Calgary and I had it out on two occasions. If you wish, I can try to look up the info on this chap but it may be a while before I get the chance.
Old 24th August 2013, 00:19

Hi CR,

Well, I have yet to see my colleagues (vacations), so that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Old 30th August 2013, 04:02

OK. I'll see if I can get over there on the weekend David.
Old 31st August 2013, 06:49

SMF144

Don't be such a cheap bastard, David.

Stephen
Old 1st September 2013, 16:19

Not cheap, practical! I've tried to buy this book but it was nowhere to be found at the time (last year). I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the dessert air war as it's full of information, pictures, and personal accounts.

Anyway, as to mention of Clayton Graham in Levigne's book, I'll summarize it with the following:

Flight Sargeant Clayton Lorrison "Bones" Graham enlisted with the RCAF at Moncton at age 21. He did his operational training with No. 56 OTU in England and flew ops with 611 Sqdn from 31 December 1941 to 17 April 1942.

Joined 250 Sqdn on 17 Aug 1942 (no explanation for the time gap) flying Kittyhawks.

Al Orr, a squadron mate, relates Graham's first combat while he was flying wing to Ed Miluska on or about Sept 1/42: "He saw tracers going past his wing going the same direction as he was going and he could not figure out that a 109 was shooting at him! FO Tribken and I saw the 109 shooting at him and we turned about to attack the 109".

On Jan 2/43 in an air battle with II/JG 77 he shot down a 109, either WNr. 13870 of 5/JG 77 or 13889 of 6/JG 77 and claimed another as damaged. In the same battle, he himself was shot down and strafed by a 109, being wounded "about the chest". No mention is made of how he was rescued.

After recovering in hospital, Graham was posted to Nos. 2 and 4 Air Delivery Units where he ferried aircraft between May 1943 and March 1944. He then returned to Canada and served with 14 SFTS until his release on 6 March 1945.

I did not see any reference to Graham's involvement in the rescue incident in the article posted by Leendert but I was only using index references and this may have been omitted from the index.

There are two pictures of Graham in the book and if you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send them to you.

Hope this helps.

Andy