Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th November 2016, 02:33

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
When was Lechfeld captured?

Dear All,

According to W. E. Samuel, the 54th ADS moved into Lechfeld on May 4, 1945. My question is when was Lechfeld captured and by what unit or units? Please cite your information source.

Regards,
Richard
Old 25th November 2016, 05:05

Don Pearson
Re: When was Lechfeld captured?

Not necessarily the airfield but "On 29 April scouts of the 522nd Field Artillery Battalion located a satellite camp of the infamous Dachau concentration camp next to the small Bavarian town of Lager Lechfeld, adjacent to Hurlach. " http://www.lapahie.com/Wikipedia_442nd_Regiment.cfm

From various sources on internet;
ME 262 A-1a - W.Nr.110956 Captured at Lechfeld on 29th April 1945, coded "White 17"

Me262A-1a-WNr-110956-captured-Lechfeld-April-29-1945

Hth

Don
Old 25th November 2016, 17:58

Dear Don,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like April 29th was either the day or very close to it. Does anyone else have a reliable source of the actual day of capture of Lechfeld?

Regards,
Richard
Old 25th November 2016, 18:03

Blücher is on a distinguished road

Dear Richard,

After the German resistance along the Danube River in the vicinity of Dillingen was broken up in the afternoon of April 26, 1945, elements of the XXI Corps, 7th Army, namely the 12th Armored Division and the 63rd Infantry Division moved southeast in order to capture bridges across the river Lech near Landsberg.

Additionally to the 12th AD and the 63rd ID however, a large number of smaller units, like the 101st Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron (back then attached to the 12th AD) also raced into that direction.

The 101st Cavalry’s history book now provides some interesting details which might be relevant for answering your question:

“(6) (a) At 270430B, C.O. 101st Cavalry Group, Mecz, directed the 92nd Cav Rcn Sq, Mecz, to move rapidly to the southeast and seize the bridges over the LECH RIVER in the vicinity of LANDSBERG. The 116th Cav Rcn Sq, Mecz, was ordered to proceed without delay and seize the bridge at SCHWABSTADL [note: just south of Lechfeld].

(b)Both Squadrons moved forward against scattered enemy resistance reaching their respective objectives at about 0830B to find that the enemy had destroyed the bridges upon their approach. Reconnaissance was immediately extended to KAUFERING and DORNSTETTEN with equally disappointing results. During the course of the days operations, the 92nd and 116th Cav Rcn Sqs, Mecz, completed a detailed reconnaissance of the west bank of the LECHRIVER in the 12th Armored Division zone, made recommendations for the repair of blown bridges and suitable sights for the construction of new bridges, captured 80 grounded airplanes, 12 AA guns, 362 prisoners of war and innumerable enemy vehicles.”

[Source: http://www.trailblazersww2.org/pdf/1...alry_part2.pdf, Page 67]

Since the 101st Cavalry’s history book contains the only reference concerning German aircraft west of the Lech River in the vicinity of Landsberg (that I have found so far), I think Lechfeld might have been captured by a Regiment of the 101st Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron on April 27, 1945.

A possible reason why the capture of Lechfeld isn’t explicitly mentioned in the report might be that this incident was overshadowed by the liberation of the Landsberg camps during the same time.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Michael
Old 25th November 2016, 22:26
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

It was most likely either 27 or 28 April:

According to Nick Beale's excellent site ghostbombers.com:

"On the afternoon of the 24th, Lechfeld’s Station Command gave out orders for the evacuation of workshop staff to Erding once any Me 262s any Jumo 004 engines had been got away; special tools for jet aircraft were to go by road."

(...)

"The Americans had crossed the Danube on the 26th, reaching the River Lech south of Lechfeld by the evening of 27 April, while the Augsburg–Lechfeld area itself was in their hands by the following evening and München was taken on the 30th."

Source: http://www.ghostbombers.com/recon/234/F100/1F100_6.html

So, it seems the date was 28 April 1945? However, the source does not specifically say that the airfield Lechfeld was captured on 28 April.

Regards,

Roger

Old 25th November 2016, 22:42

Dear Michael and Roger,

Thank you for the further input. It would seem to me that a target as important as Lechfeld would have been noted captured in an intelligence report.

I looked at the 63rd Infantry Division daily logs at NARA II and do recognize how vague those reports were.

Regards,
Richard
Old 26th November 2016, 10:08
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger View Post
It would seem to me that a target as important as Lechfeld would have been noted captured in an intelligence report.
Regards,
Richard
I have a book »Kreigsende in Bayern 1945« (The War's End in Bavaria 1945) and Lechfeld doesn't feature in either the index or the maps, although Schongau, further south, does. From the maps it looks as if Lechfeld was taken on 29 April (Augsburg was surrendered on the 28th).
Old 26th November 2016, 15:36
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

One also has to recall the time frame and mental state of front line Allied forces at this point. They knew the war was won and no one was recording anything, per se. That was left to the follow-up/Intel recon units. The idea was don't be the last casualty!
Old 27th November 2016, 04:24

Dear Nick and John,

Thanks for the further input. One would think that the intelligence types would have kept a record, even if the advancing army units did not. Lechfeld should have been of particular interest, it being the home base for Me 262 research.

Regards,
Richard
Old 27th November 2016, 13:01

egbert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger View Post
Dear Don,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like April 29th was either the day or very close to it. Does anyone else have a reliable source of the actual day of capture of Lechfeld?

Regards,
Richard
https://landsbergblog.wordpress.com/...lose-ubergabe/