Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th December 2021, 15:53

AndreasB is on a distinguished road
I./StG1 and HMS Latona 25-10-41

Thanks to Andy Mitchell for providing this very interesting document that once more shows the difficulty in identifying ships from the air.

https://crusaderproject.wordpress.co...a-25-oct-1941/

All the best

Andreas
Old 28th December 2021, 22:20

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Re: I./StG1 and HMS Latona 25-10-41

Andreas,

many thanks for the credit - hope that the files will be of further use.

Here is something extra from H. M. SHIPS DAMAGED OR SUNK BY ENEMY ACTION 3rd. SEPT. 1939 to 2nd. SEPT. 1945

M I S C E L L A N E O U S S H I P S - 1941
SHIP |DATE OF INCIDENT |NATURE OF ATTACK| TIME OUT OF ACTION |BRIEF ACCOUNT OF DAMAGE AND LESSONS LEARNED
LATONA
(Fast Minelayer] | 25th Oct, 1941 |(i) One Direct Hit 250 lbs, delay action fuzed Bomb. (ii) Torpedo fired by own forces| Sunk |LATONA was on passage to Tobruk at 26 knots when enemy aircraft attacked and one bomb passed through the port side and burst in the engine room. A serious fire broke out amongst the cargo of munitions and in the engine room. The firemain was cut and out of action, *Y’ gun and pom-pom were also out of action. A heavy explosion aft caused the fire to spread.
LATONA was abandoned and sunk by own forces.

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 28th December 2021, 23:04

Thanks Andy!

It's interesting they underestimated the size of the ordnance more than four-fold.

Some discrepancies there between the account in "Very Special Ships" and the official information.

I'll add this to the article.

All the best

Andreas
Old 30th December 2021, 19:13

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

Note ship ID as well as plane ID were poor in WW II. Since the Latona was a new class of minelayer the Axis may not have had any info on the ship. So I would say some German aircrew looked at his ship ID book and found a picture or drawing of a County or London class cruiser which have 3 funnels and said this is what I attacked.
Old 31st December 2021, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
Note ship ID as well as plane ID were poor in WW II. Since the Latona was a new class of minelayer the Axis may not have had any info on the ship. So I would say some German aircrew looked at his ship ID book and found a picture or drawing of a County or London class cruiser which have 3 funnels and said this is what I attacked.
Yes, that's my thinking as well. Followed by confirmation bias tripling her in size. It's not just the air crew, but also the U-Boat captain who struggled.

All the best

Andreas