Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th January 2016, 22:39

Cambox is on a distinguished road
Info needed on Luftwaffe downed aircraft in North Devon

I have deleted the post as one or two on this forum seem to think they are the only voice that can be heard. It is a shame that they ruin it for the rest of the decent people.

At least I was warned and so not unexpected, and I have to say they did say it would be a few certain names and they were right. I owe them a pint for that warning.

Good luck to the rest of the decent people trying to answer my question without hijacking the thread with their jealous views.

Last edited by Cambox; 22nd January 2016 at 12:02.
Old 20th January 2016, 23:46
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Info needed on Luftwaffe downed aircraft in North Devon

The Luftwaffe Crash Archive series (eight volumes so far, and up to July 1941) is/will be the most comprehensive reference but a rather expensive way to track down a crash when you don't know the date. Single-engine fighters rarely got as far as North Devon, just because of range limitations (although a disorientated Fw 190 pilot did land at Chivenor), so it's more likely you have a piece of a longer-ranging plane. Establishing a year and/or the aircraft type would make your task a lot easier, though.
Old 21st January 2016, 00:05

CornwallPhil is on a distinguished road

Does Devon at War by Gerald Wasley have any clues in? I don't have a copy, but I'd thought you'd find one in most libraries in Devon.
Old 21st January 2016, 03:47

brewerjerry

Hi
From memory of my research, mainly Ju-88 and HE-III aircraft crashed in north devon,
The 109 was south devon, and 110's further East towards 'bristolish'
Maybe the item was taken off one of the 109s or 110s publicly displayed in devon
cheers
jerry
Old 21st January 2016, 07:40
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Definitely beyond the combat range of single engined aircraft albeit a Fw 190 did land at Pembrey in South Wales (not Chivenor). Despite the possible provenance, this isn't another post-war recreation? Alf Batt made a number like this around the 70s early 80s
Old 21st January 2016, 19:14

Icare9 is on a distinguished road

A photo of the item would undoubtedly speed up finding out what type of aircraft it came from. Also anything that resembles a Part No or manufacturers stamp.
Preferably in colour in daylight as perhaps the camo or colour scheme could help date it.

When F-i-L sold it, did he not have a Catalogue entry for it, that might have the missing details?

As mentioned by others, single seat fighters didn't generally have the range to get as far as North Devon, so a photo would greatly help us help you!
Old 21st January 2016, 20:50
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I suggest you all look at the Flyoast Forum as the consensus is it is one of Alf's creations