Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd August 2019, 04:44
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: Still MIA over the British Isles.

This thread seems to be drifting from my original purpose in listing those US Airmen that are recorded by the DPAA as MIA over the British Isles.

And now it would seem that from the post above that the DPAA has it wrong and these Airmen are not MIA.

My original purpose was to give details of their loss and to add where known the aircraft serials, and MACR's where known .
Also I had hoped that others might have been able to add to the list those Aircraft serials and MACR's that I could not find. Sadly that has not happened
Old 4th August 2019, 08:17

R Leonard is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, don't know about the rest of your list, but the MACR covering your very first gent has KIA noted next to his name and for everyone on board the plane. Plane crashed at sea.

". . . Civilian reported to Royal Observer Corps a fire approximately six (6) to eight (8) miles of the coast of Trevose Head. Search was immediately initiated by 19th Group (British)."

". . . Search for aircraft began at 0055 hours 17 March 1945. Three (3) aircraft of Walrus and Warwick types were used, including surface vessels. Wreckage and flotsam were found at the scent of fire, identified as that of a fortress (B-17G). A flying jacket was found among wreckage with papers and letters addressed to Anthony D Pellegrini, 2nd Lt., navigator of missing aircraft 44-8601. Search was abandoned at 1700 17 March 1945. Officer in charge of search - R.A.F Flt/Lt Evershed, H.K., Serial Number 86012, Flying Control Officer, 19th Group."

So, according to the USAAF he was KIA and we know his body was not recovered.
Old 5th August 2019, 02:07
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

THANKS -
I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT .

To illustrate the oddities I know exist.
Here is one that has not as yet been solved in reguard to the a/c serial number.

KING, GEORGE F. MAJ O-418300 11/06/1943 2 ARMY AIR FORCE BASE DEPOT

Denver County COLORADO - BRITISH ISLES - DNB ( Died None Battle ).
B26B - Serial unknown - MACR 15489 - 31 Transport Group - Pilot was Everett L. Miller.

The other three crew are recorded as follows by the DPAA.

MILLER, EVERETT L. Captain - O-725765 - Saline County, Missouri - ATLANTIC OCEAN - FOD ( Finding of Death ).
McDONNELL, RAY G. 1Lt. O-470106 - Jefferson Parish, Louisiana - ATLANTIC OCEAN - FOD
BELK, WILFRED S. S/Sgt - 2074221 - Lawrence County, Arkansas - ATLANTIC OCEAN - FOD.

three recorded as FOD and Atlantic Ocean while the fourth man is recorded as DNB and British Isles.
They all were in a B26 that disappeared over the IRISH SEA.

I am only interested in finding the serial numbers and MACR's of those that I do not show in my original post.
Nothing else is of any interest to me and only detracts from my original reason for posting .
I thank all of you that have responded so far, but so far there has been no additional information that has added to completing my list.

Many thanks to all.

Unless something comes to light in the future I will no longer respond to any further posts in this thread.

So until such time , many thanks
Alex

Last edited by Alex Smart; 8th August 2019 at 05:05.